cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Increase email and early termination charges

jb66
Hooked

Re: Price Increase email and early termination charges

AFAIK as long as you don't get a new line installed and use the existing BT socket (I.E not moving to virgin) you won't get charged as open reach won't be physically be disconnecting your line
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The cease fee is explained here.

When would I have to pay it?

You'd only need to pay the charge if the broadband service is being taken off your phone line. Typical reasons for this are:

• the phone line that your broadband's on has been cut off
  • you cancel your broadband account without switching to another provider
  • you switch to a provider who uses their own network (like a cable provider)
  • you move to a provider who uses their own equipment in your exchange (often called Local Loop Unbundling)

I hope this clears things up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
BarneyMcgrew
Dabbler

Hello again

Thanks for your reply.

Don't you think that this should be made much clearer in the Plusnet communications? I've reproduced below the relevant section of the e-mail sent out 28th June entitled: "Important information about your Plusnet service".

"What happens next?

We hope you’re happy with your products and services but if you do decide to leave because of these changes, we won’t apply any early termination charges. All we ask is that you call us to tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 days’ notice.^

>

>

Terms & Conditions

Prices, content and terms may change at any time during your contract. We'll tell you about important changes in advance, and if a change is detrimental you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.

For full details of our terms and conditions, please click here.

>

>

^ If, as a result of the changes in this email, you decided to terminate your affected service(s), you may do so without incurring any early termination charges that may otherwise be payable. If you wish to exercise this right you must contact us within 30 days of receiving this notification and give us 14 days notice. You will still be liable for service charges up to the date of termination."

Reading this, wouldn't most people take it to mean that there would be no termination charges or fees of any sort?

It's true that the e-mail does not specifically mention the term "Cessation Charge" but is this not another example of the type of ommission / wording by companies that frankly, p*"%^es people off?

Just saying ....

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I am sorry you feel that way and I do appreciate where you're coming from. However the email does advise to read through the terms and conditions and they do advise of the cessation fee, which is separate to the early termination fees.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
BarneyMcgrew
Dabbler

My point is that the issue of the cessation charge is a significant one and obviously very relevant to the subject of the e-mail recently sent out.

A small addition of extra wording in the e-mail footnote along the lines of: "Please note, in most cases a cessation fee will be charged to your account upon transferring to another service other than BT as per our T&Cs" would highlight the fact that the authors are making an implied distinction between termination charges and cessation fees. (You've only got to read some of the other responses in this thread to see that there is confusion).

Indeed, it appears that even if you have gone through your minimum contract period and have moved onto a rolling monthly basis, if you decide to leave and transfer your service to anyone else except BT, you're going to be hit with the cessation fee.

I believe that this should be made much clearer and stated in all places where it is relevant to the subject being communicated (rather than having to hunt through linked T&Cs)

Not unreasonable, surely?

BarneyMcgrew
Dabbler

@jb66 That's how I would have read it but it seems to not be quite that simple.

Indeed, if you switch to say TalkTalk, the wiring and sockets in your house do not change but as they are an LLU supplier (I think?), Plusnet would levy the ceasation fee because of what happens at the exchange end of your line.

In fact, I've had a Plusnet agent say that this the case for transfers to anyone other than BT even if the new supplier uses the BT Openreach wholesale network.

Go figure.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Message removed as cross-posting not allowed as per Forum rules

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still