Did you mean: 

Price Increase & Line Rental Saver Refund

FIXED
akashi
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Price Increase & Line Rental Saver Refund

I have been with Plusnet since 2013.

My fibre broadband and line rental is charged separately. I have found the fibre broadband price increasing every year to a point where it is no longer value for money.

I tried to negotiate a better deal or leave when the price of the fibre broadband increased. The advisor said I was out of luck as if I left, I would forfeit the remainder of my line rental saver. The same was said to me 18 months ago when I was forced to renew my fibre broadband contract or lose all my line rental saver.

In short, Plusnet have me trapped. I cannot leave without penalty.

Plusnet used to match Topcashback or Quidco cashback. I am now told these are only for the customers they value, new customers. Nothing for being a loyal customer these days Sad

I would like to stay with Plusnet if possible and would appreciate if any staff member could assist on this.

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Price Increase & Line Rental Saver Refund

You have been misinformed by the PlusNet advisor, there is an OFCOM ruling that any unused advance line rental payments have to be refunded if a customer leaves their contract because of a price increase. You have definite grounds for a complaint to be raised. I will be interested to see PlusNet's response to your post.

akashi
Grafter

Thanks for your input.

Plusnet argued the 'Services' were separate. One service is the line rental and the other being the fibre broadband. This was said despite both are needed.

Because the line rental saver is always in terms when the fibre broadband increases in price or contract ends, they use this excuse to force me to renew or lose money.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

You have been misinformed by the PlusNet advisor, there is an OFCOM ruling that any unused advance line rental payments have to be refunded if a customer leaves their contract because of a price increase. You have definite grounds for a complaint to be raised. I will be interested to see PlusNet's response to your post.

If I remember correctly this applies when there is a general increase such as there was in June (I think) and Plusnet are advised of the intention to leave within 30 days of the increase being announced.

If in @akashi case the increase is due to the expiry of a contract then I suspect that the Plusnet response is correct.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

akashi
Grafter

Just to clarify, I am referring to the refund on the line rental saver whilst in contract with the fibre broadband service and the price increases.

I am also facing the same problem when my fibre broadband contract ends. I understand in this case however I might be out of luck on any refunds.
Baldrick1

What price increases?

Moderator and Customer

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Baldrick1 Are you being deliberately obtuse, I assume the OP was referring to the price increase in June this year and was attempting to get a better deal or leave when the price increase was announced. As for the services being separate, total nonsense, how can you have FTTC broadband without the phone line rental.

PlusNet input required here @Gandalf perhaps

akashi
Grafter

@RealAleMadrid You are correct, I was referring to the price increase on 5th June 2018.

Found a post by @Gandalf here

This post says pro-rata refund of any unused line rental saver if you leave due to the price increase.

I tried to renew my contract today and the advisor told me very clearly, I would not receive any refunds on the line rental saver if the fibre broadband increases in price during contract! I did not go through until I get more clarification on this.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Since there aren't any price rises in play at the moment (you clause to leave early due to a price rise is only valid for 30 days from when you are notified, and everyone should have been notified at least 30 days before the 5th June), I'd be surprised that an adviser would say either way  Plusnet would probably only make that decision whilst deciding on a price rise.  Currently there is an OFCOM ruling saying they have to, but there hasn't always been, and there is no guarantee that such a ruling will be in place in the future (though I'd be surprised if they did remove it).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

akashi
Grafter

@pjmarsh Thanks for your input. What I am seeking clarification on is, should I renew my fibre broadband contract now and if a price increase happens whilst in terms, can I leave and receive refund on my line rental saver?

The post from @Gandalf says 'yes' to my question and the advisor on the phone says 'no' Who is correct?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

No problem @akashi  Last time around what @Gandalf said was correct  My point was that in the future, no one knows at this current time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@Baldrick1 Are you being deliberately obtuse, I assume the OP was referring to the price increase in June this year and was attempting to get a better deal or leave when the price increase was announced. As for the services being separate, total nonsense, how can you have FTTC broadband without the phone line rental.

No, not deliberately obtuse.

It seems that I was thinking that the OP was trying to cancel because of a current price increase, you thought that the OP was referring to the price increase last June and as it turns out the posting related to an assumed future increase. At least it's all sorted now.

Moderator and Customer

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Work out whether it would be cheaper to pay monthly for your phone line from the time your LRS expires until your BB contract expires or cheaper to pay full price for your BB from the time that contract expires until your LRS comes to an end.  Then leave once your are no longer in contract for either.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi there.

Just to leave a staff response on here for confirmation.

If you decide to leave us because of a price refresh comm. then we'd pro-rata refund your line rental saver.

However, if you leave us because your contract minimum term has expired (And the above point isn't met) you'll lose any line rental saver you have left.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet