cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Account Hacked - Written Chinese email received - Plus password not changing - Urgent

dazzy747
Dabbler

Possible Account Hacked - Written Chinese email received - Plus password not changing - Urgent

Hi everyone, 

I received an email written in Chinese last night, it has appeared to come from my Plusnet email address. Worryingly my password and email address was written in English within it.

Today, I tried changing my password as protection, it has been nothing but hassle. Plusnet online chat wouldn't help me that much and didn't want to know. In fact Shanny this evening cut me off chat and told me to go to the Police which I will do and name Plusnet! This has been going on all day. 

Earlier today I thought as a precaution I'll change my password, for some reason I couldn't do it easily. So I contacted online chat and asked them to reset it to one I could use and change. After logging in to the member centre I followed the procedure for changing my password, successfully being being done I logged out. Tried to log in again but the system wouldn't let me in using my new chosen password, but hey presto it did using the one online chat had reset for me. 

I have attempted to change my password 5 times today, each time being told it has been successful, I then attempt to log back in but am not allowed to. Until I use the password provided by online chat. To top it, my router is using the password from last night and the system isn't cutting it off, I can set it to any password you like and I still get an internet service. 

Now forgive me, this Chinese email proves my details have been compromised and Plusnet's systems are not updating passwords immediately....so what now? wait til my bank account details are stolen?

I am going to video the operation of the passwords I input as proof. 

Please help I don't want my bank details compromised. 

8 REPLIES 8
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Possible Account Hacked - Written Chinese email received - Plus password not changing - Urgent

@dazzy747

I would put your email address in at:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Background on the site (read first)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4767562/Have-PWNED-Site-reveals-password-safe.html

See what comes up.

Possibly your password has been reused at other (breached) sites.

Note that the Plusnet website password (and your account password) is different to your router password.

I am the satisfied customer....
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Possible Account Hacked - Written Chinese email received - Plus password not changing - Urgent

Are you sure the correct password is being changed?
The Plusnet Community forum password is not the same as the Member Centre password and both can be changed independently of the other.
dazzy747
Dabbler

Thanks Mark, I checked, yep its been pawd twice. Once by Adobe and another person. 

How do I change the main member centre website one? 

I log in, go to account details, more, change password, I change it. Log out, but to log in again it doesn't use my new password but the old one set my online chat this morning. 

dazzy747
Dabbler

Hi Bowni, thanks for your message. Yeah I know the community password is different to the other parts of Plusnet. 

markhawkin
Pro

@dazzy747

I think you could change your password at:

https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=mydetails

Then click on the picture of keys.

This would, at least, change your account password.

You may also need to reset your router to use this new password (although if it is a Plusnet one they sent you it may all sort itself out).

As a more general observation, I suggest using one of the large email providers rather than ISP provided email. If you do so then knowing your Plusnet username and password is little use in China !

dazzy747
Dabbler

Thanks Mark, I have changed it using the keys but the the log on page before it remains as another password.

I will start using another email provider.....

Its my bank details I am worried about as the main website password won't update, the screen before the keys...

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Fair enough mate, thought worth pointing out for the benefit of others reading this topic.
markhawkin
Pro

@dazzy747

For me, the account details at "bills and payments" only shows a few digits of sort code and account so not much risk.

You could also try "forgotten my password" at the main log in stage (even if the browser remembers it) and see if the password reset process is more thorough if you use that route.