cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting landline number and keeping broadband.

machare
Rising Star

Porting landline number and keeping broadband.

Is it yet possible to port a landline number to a VOIP provider in a way that does not kill the associated broadband service?

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Porting landline number and keeping broadband.

No - and unless you are on FTTP, it will never be possible.

John
machare
Rising Star

I am not the only one that thinks may be possible in the future   See 

jab1
Legend

I haven't read all that TBB thread, but at some point (currently Dec 2025) the PSTN network will be switched off, and as said therein, your ISP will have to advise you of the options. However, the copper circuits will remain for some time, and if you are on an ADSL/FTTC broadband network, you will stay on there until you either decide to go for FTTP (or those technologies are also switched off). Until then, ADSL/FTTC services will still need a 'phone number' to work with, so if you switch your current number to a VoIP provider, you will lose your broadband service.

John
machare
Rising Star

When I ported a landline number to a VOIP service some time ago the line itself just continued to work and had a dial tone. It had just been allocated a different number.   In the future associated broadband services should just continue to work.  

jab1
Legend

Fair enough - but was there a broadband service associated with it?

John
machare
Rising Star

No, I cancelled the Plusnet broadband first as I had to pay for the port and I wanted to be sure that it would work.. It was 8 years ago.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Its 'technically' possible now , using a 'renumber and export' order. However, it (the order process) is not reliable and so only one ISP will attempt it, and ONLY if you have broadband with them and are porting to their in-house voip.

AIUI the process involves two seperate (but linked) orders , the 'renumber' and the 'port to voip'. A failure in one of the orders can leave the other one intact and can result in loss of service. The ISP that will attempt it, can 'see' both orders and in the event of a problem can cancel the other before any disaster occurs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'