cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet taking money from my sons bank without him setting up a dd?

Margaretzx
Dabbler

Plusnet taking money from my sons bank without him setting up a dd?

My son usually makes a card payment online when my bill is due, my question is how are you automatically taking a payment off him when there is no direct debit been set up? It would of been great if you asked first before setting one up 😠
8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Plusnet taking money from my sons bank without him setting up a dd?

He has a 'continuous payment authority', which he'll need to cancel with his bank.
However, he may then go into arrears, if next payment refused.
You can cancel a continuous payment authority by contacting your bank or the company taking the payment.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I’m not in the office now to check but it sounds like he’s stored his card details on your account as an ongoing payment method or as @Gel advises “continuous payment authority”.

If we were to set up a direct debit, we’d need the account number & sort code and agreement for this given over the phone or through the online portal. 

You can check the payment details stored by logging in to the portal here > https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login/ and clicking on the billing & payments tab. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Margaretzx
Dabbler

So if I stored my card it gives you the right to take an automatic payment without asking?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

If you store your card in your account as an ongoing payment method, that means we will take your payment automatically on your bill date as we’ve agreed. 

We go into more detail here > https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/paying-your-bill/ but feel free to get back to me if you’ve got further queries and I’ll be happy to help. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Margaretzx
Dabbler

Thank you for clearing that up, personally it seems a very sly trick to use. So hopefully some of your customers will see this post and will think carefully before adding a card to their account if they like to manually pay.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hiya, it's an ongoing payment method which means we'd take the payment automatically. You don't have to store your card details as an ongoing payment method to make a one-off card payment, but you can do if you choose.

I can see at the time of adding the card details we e-mailed you to advise you've stored card details. If you can't find the e-mail, we've documented this on your account here > https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_service_notice&id=540293421

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

As an aside once you have given your card details to a company for a Continuous Payment Authority many companies can still take the funds even if you change your card to a new number.

Not sure if Plusnet comes under this group.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

It can be cancelled though https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-stories/continuous-payment-authorities-it-your-right-cancel
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'