cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet still trying to charge me after cancelling the broadband in September 2018 (a year ago)!!

HankSkorpio

Plusnet still trying to charge me after cancelling the broadband in September 2018 (a year ago)!!

I cancelled my broadband in October 2018.

I was paying by direct debit and all outstanding payments were taken before I cancelled the direct debit.

No money was owed to Plusnet.

Forward to 03/09/2019 and I received an email from Plusnet starting

"We want to apologise for the continued delay you’ve had in waiting for your next bill from us. We’re still working to resolve the issues that have prevented us from sending an up-to-date bill, and we’re hoping to be able to send it out to you within the next month. We’ll be in touch with you if it will be longer. "

I phoned Plusnet and spoke to someone in customer services who told me that the broadband was indeed cancelled in 2018 and to ignore the email and that I wouldn't receive any more..They were to put a note on my account.

Forward to 13/09/2019 when I received another email starting

"We're sad to hear that you've requested to cancel your Plusnet services, but we've done as you asked and placed your cancellation request.
The cancellation will take place on 13th September 2019.

There are no cancellation charges. "

I phoned customer services again and they said to ignore the email as it was a mistake and would make a note on my account.

Forward to 27/09/2019 when I received another email starting

"Your Plusnet bill's now ready to view, and you can log in here to see it.
We'll soon be taking a payment of £59.86 for your service. This will leave your account on or after 4th October 2019"

I phoned customer services yet again who agreed that this was a mistake as I cancelled the broadband in 2018. They said to ignore the email and would make a note on my account.

Forward to 04/10/2019 (today) and surprise surprise I received another email, this time starting

"You recently cancelled your services with Plusnet on 24th September 2019. We have been unable to take payment for your termination invoice associated with your account closure.

We'd like to remind you that payment is still due.  

What happens next?   You are required to pay the balance of £59.86 in full within the next 14 days. If payment is not received, your account balance will be forwarded to a third party Debt Collection Agency which will incur an additional cost and may have an adverse effect on your credit file."

Obviously I phoned customer services yet again who stated that it was a mistake and to ignore the email!! They were to raise a ticket. But also said as this was automatically generated they couldn't cancel it and that I might well get a letter from the debt collection agency with the implication that my credit rating could be affected.

Obviously I cannot believe this state of affairs where I am getting chased my for money I do not owe.

Your computer billing system appears pathetic at the very least.

I understand Plusnet had been fined by OFCOM for charging customer after they have cancelled.

As I am not having any joy sorting this by phone perhaps you could help?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: Plusnet still trying to charge me after cancelling the broadband in September 2018 (a year ag...

Hey @HankSkorpio,

Thanks for reaching out to us here.

I'm incredibly sorry to see the recent experience you've had with us despite cancelling over a year ago.

I can see we have recently escalated this to our back office team for some actions to be performed on the account to try and clear the outstanding balance.

This team is not in the office now until Monday morning when we will pick this back up for you.

Thank you.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Plusnet still trying to charge me after cancelling the broadband in September 2018 (a year ago)!

If it were me, as a minimum, I would be bringing a complaint to Ofcom. If you have legal cover at home, use it.

One thing I never do when things like this happen is use the phone to contact the company. Where's your evidence that anything was ever said? Everything I do in these types of disputes (call it what it is) goes via 'signed for on delivery' i.e. snail mail. I never accept phone calls back either, which means the company has to start putting things in writing. Courts love paperwork. 

And why not ask for compensation for needless stress, costs etc etc. Couple of hundred £££ as a minimum should cover it.   

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Plusnet still trying to charge me after cancelling the broadband in September 2018 (a year ag...

@HankSkorpio,

An email was sent this morning just to confirm this has now been resolved and all amounts removed for you. We apologies for the error and any inconvenience. 

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

This sounded just like a scam.

But it was plusnet.

Does that mean it really wasn't an attempted scam?

Just like a millionaire caught shoplifting.

I'm not really shoplifting I'm a respected millionaire.

That's ok then.