cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet still insisting people need to contact COT when leaving over price rise

envida

Plusnet still insisting people need to contact COT when leaving over price rise

As per the the earlier posts about the need (or lack there of) to contact COT if you plan on leaving...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141657.0.html& http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141367.msg1250696.html#msg1250696,
I thought I would let Plusnet know I was leaving by placing a migration order out or courtesy to try an avoid having to get charges removed after the fact as others have had to do.
I've Just been onto chat to tell them I intend to leave over the price rise and will be placing an order with another ISP. I was told the ONLY way I could move away was to contact COT, never mind what OFCOM and their own T&Cs state.
This is the chat...
Good Afternoon you are through to ****** today. I hope you are well and please allow me to apologise for the delay that you have had today. How may I be of assistance today? ☺
Me: at 13:38:16
Hi, I am just contacting you to let you know that I'm planning to leave because of the price increases. Even though OFCOM don't require me to contact you there are several posts on the community site where people have received termination charges when they haven't. I intend to migrate my broadband and phoneline.
Agent: at 13:38:44
I am sorry to hear that, in order to give notice of cancellation you will need to call our cancellations team on 0800 013 2632
Agent: at 13:41:13
I haven't heard from you for a while.  Are you still there?
Me: at 13:41:29
But OFCOM say I don't have to do that in the case of price increases and that an ISP should assume I am leaving because of the price change. I am just letting you know so that you don't raise the termination increases. The order to migrate to the new ISP should be the official notice, not contacting your retention line so that they can try and keep me as a customer
Agent: at 13:41:57
unfortunatley it is something that we need to have in order to avoid the cancellation charges, you dont have to give notice generally but with this you will need to
Me: at 13:42:30
Your own T&Cs even state that we may end our agreement early without a charge so long as we let Plusnet know either by notifying you directly or where switching provider, Plusnet will accept that provider’s order notification as notice (Residential Standard Terms, Paragraph 53 read in conjunction with Paragraph 46)
Agent: at 13:43:14
As I have stated you will need to call our cancellations team in order to cancel the contract to leave our service without penalty due to the price increase that we are implementing on the 2nd September
Me: at 13:45:43
but your terms and conditions and OFCOM say I don't. Why do they both say that when you say I do? I am formally letting you know I will be migrating when under the T&Cs I don't need to and under ofcom guidance I don't need to. I am choosing to do it this way.
Agent: at 13:46:10
I am sorry but as I have stated we are not able to action cancellations this way and you will need to call the number that I have given to you in order to do that
Me: at 13:47:42
Its not a cancellation, I am just notifying you that I intend to migrate so that you can ensure charges won't be raised on my account when I do. OFCOM and your T&Cs state that this (the migration) is an acceptable way of doing things.
Agent: at 13:47:55
that is still classed as a cancellation
Me: at 13:49:11
so you are essentially saying that your T&Cs and what OFCOM state is a load of rubbish.
Agent: at 13:50:43
no I am stating that as we are changing the prices and you are wanting to leave penalty free you will need to contact the correct team which is outlined in the email that we sent to you
Me: at 13:52:19
But my point is that is not what OFCOM and your own T&Cs state. Someone needs to look at processes and making sure they stay within regulations & arguably contract law. At the moment they don't. In any case, I'm at work and your new shorter opening hours don't allow me to call. Do cancellation team have email. I did try looking at raising tickets, but they have essentially been made useless as well.
Agent: at 13:53:08
unfortunately not no and they are available the same as before 8am - 8pm monday to friday, 9am - 7pm saturday and 9am - 6pm sunday
Me: at 13:56:08
OK, anyway, this is my notice, I'm following the T&Cs and OFCOM even if you aren't. The email doesn't even state that I have to call that number, just give let you know. So this is me letting you know, even though a migration email should do that.
Agent: at 13:57:13
I am not able to accept that unfortunately you will need to as I have advised speak to the cancellations team who will action this for you
Me: at 13:59:10
You can chose to state that if you wish, doesn't make it right under your legal agreement with me and the notifications I have previously received.
Agent: at 14:00:00
I am sorry about that however it is clear on the email that we have sent to you about the changes how to cancel the account
Me: at 14:01:20
No it isn't there is no reference to calling cancellations, just about contacting you within 30 days. I have done that.
Me: at 14:01:22
Hello Matthew, We're really proud our customers are so happy with Plusnet that we lead the market when it comes to customer satisfaction*... (content of email removed so as to shorten post, but it makes no reference to calling, just contacting)
Agent: at 14:02:34
As per that If you wish to exercise this right you must contact us within 30 days of receiving this notification and give us 14 days notice
Me: at 14:02:46
I have done that,
Agent: at 14:02:42
and cancellations can not be done over chat
Me: at 14:04:25
no but they can be done by placing a migration with another ISP, but now you say they can't. This isn't a cancellation, it's notification that I will be doing that and that I am letting you know that so that you don't raise termination charges as others in the forums have had done, even when they shouldn't have. Even one of your guys on their states that they shouldn't.
Me: at 14:07:22
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141657.0.html
and... community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141367.msg1250696.html#msg1250696
Ok we are going round in circles. I maintain that I am going about things the correct way based on OFCOM, T&Cs and the email I received. You say I'm not based on what you've been told. We should leave it there.
(technically the chat is still ongoing, its been on 'Agent is typing for the past 21 minutes - i think she has fallen off her chair or something.)
5 REPLIES 5
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Plusnet still insisting people need to contact COT over price rise

Hi envida,
Quote from: envida
(technically the chat is still ongoing, its been on 'Agent is typing for the past 21 minutes - i think she has fallen off her chair or something.)

We sit quite near to webchat now. I was wondering what those paramedics were doing behind me.
Quote from: envida
Me: at 13:47:42
Its not a cancellation, I am just notifying you that I intend to migrate

I understand what you were aiming for in the chat, though I do think notifying us that you intend to leave is somewhat ambiguous if you are not asking us to cancel the account at the same time, and there are no orders on your line.
We wouldn't have been able to add the contract back on if it was removed and you suddenly decided to stay, so I don't really think that it was rational to just remove the charges when no orders have been placed with other providers yet.
Personally, I think that if there is an order pending on the line, we should give webchat advisors the facility to write off the contract (I think we're trying for a bigger, and more economic fix than that, but not certain). This would save us time, valuable COT resource, customer's time etc.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
envida

Re: Plusnet still insisting people need to contact COT when leaving over price rise

OK, I see what you are saying. If I place an order then, will that be enough to get the ball rolling or will I still need to call? i.e. will the contract get written off
I just went to phone COT but there is a 30 minute wait on the phones according to the recorded message at the start.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Plusnet still insisting people need to contact COT when leaving over price rise

I want to get a new process set up, and have arranged a meeting with the webchat top dog. As it stands, it's probably best to call COT. We're at 9 minutes 45 seconds as it stands (though that is subject to change).
Matty
envida

All done, thanks Smiley
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ahh nice one. Hope it wasn't too painful Smiley
Wishing you all the best with your new provider.
Matty