Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet's Refund Cheque Bounced

wjohnloxley
Hooked

Plusnet's Refund Cheque Bounced

Hi all.

Is this typical of Plusnet. If so I’m glad I didn’t complete transfer.

In November 2018 I started to transfer my landline /broadband account from Bt to Plusnet, with a proposed start date of 10/12/18.

By the 01/12/118 Bt got back to me with an offer I couldn’t refuse. So I cancelled my account 10 days prior to proposed start date.  

Plusnet stated sorry I wasn’t going to join them, but OK, and there would be no charges against account, as it was not yet started (10 days prior to start date) 

I latter got a statement from my bank, And found that Plusnet had taken £214.88 from my account. When I phoned Plusnet they stated that they knew of this and were in process of sending me a check, when asked it was stated that they could not refund electronically - even though they could take it electronically and immediately.

Cheque eventually arrived just prior to Xmas, and dated 18/12/18.  Due to Xmas period the cheque was not presented until 7/1/19, on 15/1/19 I received letter from bank stating that plusnet’s bank had beclined payment on 8/1/19.  I immediately phoned Plusnet, who were very apologetic, but could/would only send email / question to billing  team with promise of action and notification by phone.

Forward a week to 22/1/19.  Nothing from Plusnet.  Another phone call another set of apologies & promises, and now arguments. Further promises of questions to billing team to sort out in 1-2 days and to notify by phone.

25/1/19. Guess what, nothing from Plusnet, another phone call, this time contact phoned billing team, who stated that cheque had been cashed on 7/1/19 but didn’t know it had bounced on 8/1/19. So I sent Copy of banks letter stating it had been declined on 8/1/19.

Still waiting.  Plusnet has now had my money for near enough 2 months, a bit longer IF they send a cheque out now and allowing time for me to get to bank,

Is this how Plusnet works - by holding on to other people’s money, taking it electronically and immediately, then repaying  by cheque and delays. Or trying not to repay at all?

i have separate mobile deals with Plusnet which I will now be transferring elsewhere. 

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plusnet Cashback Cheque Bounced

@wjohnloxley On reading your horror story, you have my sympathies, but I can't help but think that the title of this topic is wrong and should maybe read "Plusnet's Refund Cheque Bounced" as it presently implies that the cheque in question is part of a cashback offer which it evidently is not.

I hope you get this sorted as soon as possible.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@@@wjohnloxle wrote:

Hi all.

Is this typical of Plusnet. If so I’m glad I didn’t complete transfer.

I latter got a statement from my bank, And found that Plusnet had taken £214.88 from my account. When I phoned Plusnet they stated that they knew of this and were in process of sending me a check, when asked it was stated that they could not refund electronically - even though they could take it electronically and immediately.

If it was taken via a direct debit you need to raise that with your bank. Read the Direct Debit Guarantee. It is your BANK's responsibility to refund money that shouldn't have been taken. (been there, done that). They refund you immediately and it is then their responsibility to get the money back from whoever. Some bank staff will waffle and don't seem to understand the DD guarantee but if you do hit problems, throwing it up the line sorts it - the guarantee isn't an optional extra.

I would also raise the issue of the bounced cheque with your bank, as no doubt you will be charged for it bouncing.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
wjohnloxley
Hooked

Hi ards

I agree, it defaulted to that heading after browsing prior to typing letter, now don’t know how to change it, or what the correct category should be.

regards

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from General Chat to Accounts / Billing.
Title has been changed to more accurately reflect the issue.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @wjohnloxley,

I'm really sorry to hear that you have experienced these issues. I've reviewed your account this evening and I have raised a ticket response via your account, which can be viewed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@idonno  My understanding is that the OP started the process of migrating, so PN were within their rights to take the payment.  The issue is that they have failed to refund the money after the migration was cancelled.  I'm therefore not sure the DD guarantee applies.  It's worth a try though.

I fail to understand how a cheque drawn on a supposedly solvent company can bounce.  Surely this must involve someone at PN instructing their bank not to honour certain cheques.

And yes, PN should bear the full cost of any bank charges relating to the bounced cheque(s).

wjohnloxley
Hooked

Hi.

I agree on the initial taking of monies, it’s the run around to get it back that’s I find both infuriating and disappointing.  I was quite happy to join Plusnet which I always thought of as a reputable company, but now acts as a backstreet market trader. Over 2 months with delaying tactics for refund is beyond reasonable.

regards

wjohnloxley
Hooked

Thank you for the move and renaming, I couldn’t find a way of doing it myself.

regads.

LM16T
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet's Refund Cheque Bounced

I feel sorry regarding your situation.
The feedback on this ISP provider is diabolical. I'm so glad I've read your post.
They failed to get me connected and I'm left with no services. They cancelled my order 11days before I was to go active without having the decency to let me know, so my last provider cut me off to allow this shower to take over, and I have nothing. But rest assured your posting has helped someone else.
Just in case they tried something devious like this with me, I have just phoned my bank and cancelled my direct debit with them.. Phewww. I'd advise you to write to headquarters and inform them that you intend to take out a small claims against them, this will allow them to defend it or accept their wrong doing and pay up. But you must tell them that they have such and such a time to get it sorted beforehand. If they don't respond. Get the claim form and send it to court. Costs around £45. And they will be liable for those costs also, plus the bounched cheque charge. All the best.
wjohnloxley
Hooked

Hi all.

“Thank you” to everyone who posted replied.

PN have today informed me that they are raising new cheque and to allow 14 for cheque to get here, (2 months after taking money), apologies for inconvenience etc.

But also state that they were aware of cheques being bounced before I reported it.  So why the runaround for a further 2 weeks since.

It doesn’t look like I’ll be joining up any time shortly to the firm “That’s glad to help”

A very disgruntled potential customer.

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @wjohnloxley

Thanks for getting in touch and I am sorry for the length of time taken to resolve your refund query.

I have responded via a ticket on your account with further detail on your issue. You can view these details here

If you have any questions feel free to get in touch