Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet's Market 'B' Low cost area.

FIXED
Schiehallion
Grafter

Plusnet's Market 'B' Low cost area.

According to this link Plusnet is classifing more exchanges as Low Cost (Market B) areas: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/05/isp-plusnet-expand-uk-low-cost-areas-to-more-broadband...

My parents are with Plusnet on the Auchtermuchty exchange, it's currently a Market A exchange.

How can I find out which exchanges Plusnet are reclassifying as Market B (Low Cost)? Obviously I'm wondering if Auchtermuchty is one of them.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
kkkev11
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet's Market 'B' Low cost area.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

The BT DSL Checker also indicates the current status of the exchange in the text section under the speed table that the premises may be able to received.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

It's difficult to advise, because not all Market A exchanges are being reclassified.

I've e-mailed the relevant people involved in the project and I'll post back once I receive a response.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Schiehallion
Grafter

@kkkev11 @SpendLessTime

Thanks for your replies. My understanding is that Plusnet are using a new classification for the exchanges, which will result in more of them being classed as low cost. However Openreach are using an older classification, so checking the exchange classification online is picking up the older classification and not Plusnet's newer classification.

Regards

@Gandalf

Thanks for looking into this for me. I'm interested in any response you get back.

Regards

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've not received a response yet but I do know that this is an industry wide change so I'd expect DSL Checker to be updated in due course for the affected exchanges.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Fix

I think the new lists of all the Market A and B exchanges are in the "Wholesale Broadband Access Market Review" consultation document available from:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/wholesale-broadband-access-market-r...

The ESARY exchange code for Auchtermuchty is in the Market B list in that document.

Schiehallion
Grafter

@ejs

Thanks for your reply. Looks like my parents bill should be going down then! I don't think they've had any notification of this yet.

I await any developments with interest.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Good news everyone. I can confirm that Auchtermuchty will be reclassified as a Market B exchange.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Schiehallion
Grafter

@Gandalf

Thanks for getting back to me. I have just checked my parents account and I can confirm they are now being billed at the lower "Market B" rate or "Market 2/3" as it is shown on their invoice.

@ejs

Sorry, I could only mark one answer as "Fixed my Problem". I wanted to mark both you and Gandalf as "Fixed my Problem".

Thanks to all who responded for their help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear that! No problems. Let us know if have any further queries.

(I’ve asked our mods to change the fix to @ejs as they found the answer first so it’s only fair. :))
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet