cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet referral system doesn't work for me :-(

rhino666
Dabbler

Plusnet referral system doesn't work for me :-(

I have added Plusnet's referral banners to my websites but will be removing them very shortly.  There have been a fair number of click throughs over the last three months but no sign ups.  I was surprised at this and contacted Plusnet - very disappointed with the response.
1)  The cookie that controls your link to a referred customer is supposedly persistent but in actuality only lasts as long as the referred customers browser session.  From my experience a referral cookie should last a lot longer than that !!
2)  How can I seriously refer people to plusnet for 25p a month and nothing to them when Quidco will pay the new customer £36 ?  I could just about live with my conscience if the cookie worked but it would take 9 years for my referral fee to match the Quidco customer discount !!
Am I missing something here or is the plusnet referral banner system a badly organised farce.     
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Plusnet referral system doesn't work for me :-(

I guess the referral system works better for some than others.
We do get a lot of referrals - The 25p's and 50p's add up over a period of time.
The cookie length, I believe, is 30 days, so if they go back to the our website for a second time within a month, then they should still be assigned to you.
Do you have any definitive proof that this is not happening?  If yo have referred people who are not marked down as your referral, then they can raise a ticket and we can add it for you.
rhino666
Dabbler

I think we have had communications over these issues before James.
Here is a quote from your reply about the cookie -
'As for the banner cookie, we register when someone hits our website after clicking a banner, and if they sign up at that point then the referral is made. However, there are times where someone may leave the page, then go directly to http://www.plus.com when they decide to sign up. If we left this as a persistent cookie, this could cause all kinds of problems if someone clicks to our site several times from several referral banners.'
It appears from your reply post above that you have changed the way that the cookie works since the communication quoted on 26th September.  Is this a very recent change or was the information you gave me originally, incorrect ?
If the cookie is now 30 day persistent there is no problem.
The referral v Quidco argument is not just financial but also a question of morality.  Consider the scenario where a friend/relation is looking to sign up to Plusnet on your advice.  Do you sign him up as a referral, getting 25p a month, if the banner works, or do you correctly refer him to Quidco where he will be paid a £36 introductory discount.  It really is a no brainer especially if there is a chance that this person would find the Quidco deal later and realise he had not got the best deal.
I look forward to a reply where this second point is dealt with as well as the first appears to have been.       
James
Grafter

No brainer really, isn't it?
The QuidCo discount won't last forever (no idea what our Marketing team are planning next).  It really depends on which promotions are happening at the time.  Last year we did a few 6 times and 8 times referral credits, which might have been advantageous over using QuidCo.
I think the quoted reply is probably correct - sorry for being a bit confusing.
rhino666
Dabbler

Regrettably I have now removed the banner advertising from my websites 😞
Mand
Grafter

I'm sorry to hear that, and hope we can come up with something in the near future to tempt you to refer again.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've had referral banners on my web site for six years and despite many hundreds of clicks on the banners I've never had one sign up. Sods law at least a few would have signed up I would have thought. Trouble is you have no way of knowing if someone has signed up via your banners or not. Personally I don't think they work.
Quote from: rhino666
I have added Plusnet's referral banners to my websites but will be removing them very shortly.  There have been a fair number of click throughs over the last three months but no sign ups.  I was surprised at this and contacted Plusnet - very disappointed with the response.
1)  The cookie that controls your link to a referred customer is supposedly persistent but in actuality only lasts as long as the referred customers browser session.  From my experience a referral cookie should last a lot longer than that !!
2)  How can I seriously refer people to plusnet for 25p a month and nothing to them when Quidco will pay the new customer £36 ?  I could just about live with my conscience if the cookie worked but it would take 9 years for my referral fee to match the Quidco customer discount !!
Am I missing something here or is the plusnet referral banner system a badly organised farce.       
mal0z
Grafter

I think with Firefox the default is now that cookies are removed on closedown together with the history file !.
I have to say that although I've had two websites with the Plusnet referral logo, I've not got one referall out of it - so for me it doesn't work, so I agree something else is needed.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Would it be possible to have a form on the referrals site wat is pre filled?
That would solv this problem with Browsers Deleting the cookies, the Web Master of the site could put a link to the form on there pages!
Just an idea.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re:Plusnet referral system doesn"t work for me :-(

I think with Firefox the default is now that cookies are removed on closedown together with the history file !

Pretty sure that's not the default behaviour TBH. It wouldn't make much sense as it would break the functionality of a lot of websites.
Gary, I'm not sure what you're suggesting would be any more effective than having a referral banner?
If I'm honest I thought the referral cookies were persistent Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mal0z
Grafter

I'm sure your right Bob - you must see far more new installs of FF than I do -.
i just checked mine - and |Tools/Privacy is set to not keep history and cookies -  and I've rarely had any problems.
But getting back on topic - it really would be helpful if a better mechanism was found.