cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet now want to charge me £1.50 extra a month.

Flypopa
Grafter

Plusnet now want to charge me £1.50 extra a month.

I have had an email as I expect many others have. Telling me that I will have to pay another £1.50 if I continue to pay via my mastercard,
as I have done for all the years that I was with Metronet, and then they sold out to Plusnet.
To save the extra payment I would have to pay via Direct debit.
I cannot do this as I no longer have an account that will let me do this.
So I feel that I am being victiminised. Angry
BT are at present installing fibre optic in my area, and they are offering a good deal. Is it time to change my server? Undecided
42 REPLIES 42
Bruce47
Grafter

Re: Plusnet now want to charge me £1.50 extra a month.

BT also charge £1.50 to pay by credit card
Flypopa
Grafter

Thats what I said. Mastercard is a credit card.
I think it is a darn cheek.
jim:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Whilst I'm not doubting what you're saying, it seems odd that you have a credit card but not a Debit account that will allow you the facility to set up a Direct Debit?
There's other threads open where the charges are being discussed, you'll find them here and here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Bob, I wouldn't be so sure about that, my bank account (until I recently upgraded it) allowed me to have a Debit Card, setup Direct Debits, but not Standing Orders.  And getting a Credit Card is generally, and often specifically nothing to do with your bank account.
zubel
Community Veteran

But, one of the provisos of having a credit card is a decent credit history - which I would find pretty impossible to have without a bank account you can have Direct Debits on...
B.
Bruce47
Grafter

fourfourdevon, what bank was that?  I can't think of any account that would allow a direct debit but not a standing order.
Flypopa
Grafter

I would pay by DD if I could but I can't. When I retired and closed down my business, there was no need to keep the business account.
This was a current account with cheque book, and debit card. So I closed it.
All I needed was a couple of credit cards. One for my 'toys' and the other which is joint cards for the household shopping and other bits.
The wife is in charge of all other DD with her account.
There is no way that I am going to open another account just to pay Plusnet via DD.
reserved
Grafter

Quote from: Flypopa
The wife is in charge of all other DD with her account.

Increase her "pocket money" by the appropriate amount and let her pay PN by DD  Roll_eyes
jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Hi, Got to agree the £1-50 charge if paying by debit card is what I think unnecessary, I have been paying by Debit card, the money comes out of my  bank account, I have set up a debit now to avoid paying the £1-50, The money still comes from my bank account, No doubt Plusnet have to cover some costs but £1-50 is a bit too much.
BT did a similar thing with there phone bills, if you receive a paper bill they charge you, Making some customers  go onto paperless billing, if you pay  the bill at the end of the quarter they charge you an administration fee for that.
I hope they get a bit better at the billing amount being drawn from my account , the beginning of last year was the start of a few phone calls and tickets, the amount was consistently wrong, I got the money back but had to contact the billing dept, then they didn't take any money for a couple of months, I finally had to phone about that. Just got it right in time for the update about £1-50 charge.
Not Impressed
jono
reserved
Grafter

The direct debit guarantee applies to all banks and building societies taking part in the direct debit scheme. It says that:
    * if there is a change in the amount to be paid or the payment date, the person receiving the payment (the originator) must notify the customer in advance.
    * if the originator or the bank/building society makes an error, the customer is guaranteed a full and immediate refund of the amount paid.
    * customers can cancel a direct debit at any time by writing to their bank or building society.

If Plusnet makes a mistake then you are guaranteed an immediate refund from your bank!
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: Bruce47
fourfourdevon, what bank was that?  I can't think of any account that would allow a direct debit but not a standing order.
Natwest, it was an under 18's account, which bizzarely they had let me keep for many years beyond that age until I tried to setup a SO at which point I was informed it a) under 18's only, b) not elligible for SO's c) that I would need to change it.
Not quite sure how Natwest hadn't realised I was over 18 for such a long time, but hey.
roverdc

You make a great deal of the banks having to correct errors but there is no compulsion of them to compensated for any resulting charges from that error especially when it was the result of an error of both parties.
A change in which the decimal point was missed so a hundred times the correct amount was taken was overlooked by the bank in one instance I am familiar with. Only a long and time consuming campaign got even a partial refund of the resulting obscene bank charges imposed.
It looks on research as if your nasty arrogant attitude to your sustomers is matched by most of the other suppliers though I suppose because behind the scenes they are all the same one  :'(or two companes and in reality there is no true competition.
roverdc

The argument that BT also does it, is not exactly sound or surprising since they are the rotten company that took over  plusnet and degraded its attitudes.
BT are famous for arrogance and lack of customer care and little else. Who else would fail to find a fault specifically pointed out to them and threaten to charge £140 for a ten minute visit?
mapletree
Grafter

I wouldn't mind paying by direct debit but PN keep "losing" my bank details  Angry