Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet letter scam?

plusforum
Dabbler

Plusnet letter scam?

Is this  a scam?Huh
I recently had a letter apparently from Plusnet telling me they wanted to replace my fibre optic modem because some were malfunctioning.  I was then called by a company (I thought it was Openreach, though I can’t remember exactly) who made an appointment to visit today.  No one showed up, and when I called BT (wasted a full hour going round menus and speaking to Indian call centres)  they had no record of this appointment.  When I called PN they also denied all knowledge of the letter, the call or the appointment and said it was a scam.  I can’t really see what a scammer gets from this, and since the letter came by post, it cost them to send it to me, and presumably others too.
The letter contained my full name, address, and they used my landline number to call.  These are easy enough to put together from public sources, but how did they put it together with the knowledge of my ISP and the fact I had fibre optic?  PN swear it was nothing to do with them, but I have serious doubts this is really the case.  Has anyone else had a similar experience. or does anyone know of one?  I am  going to write to PN and to  Oftel, and would appreciate any info or experience.
Please email
jim:green email removed mod:end
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plusnet letter scam?

It probably isn't if you are on fibre with Plusnet - see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102484.0
I have removed your email as it isn't needed
I have also removed all your duplicate posts - please don't spam the forums
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: plusforum
When I called PN they also denied all knowledge of the letter, the call or the appointment and said it was a scam
.... PN swear it was nothing to do with them

Isn't this a bit of a worry? Why would the Plusnet agents not know about this programme, it's big enough? As for the letter, mine said it was Kelly that would be doing the swap on behalf of Openreach and I thought it had all the necessary contact details on it (OK, I admit I'm not totally sure where the letter is at the moment!) so I'm not sure why all that time was wasted speaking to Indian call centres!
mxs
Grafter

Not a scam as others have said (assuming you have fibre) - if you read the letter it actually has the link to the FAQ on the plusnet pages - http://community.plus.net/fibre-modem/
The swap is being done by Kelly Communications and I assume they are working on behalf of BT openreach, although the letter came from Plusnet and for sure their support peeps should know about it (I suspect the customer care team will be having a word with support after they see this to make sure they are all aware).
There are some reports of not being able to book a date due to them being full up at the moment and some missed appointments - my swap went without any hitches though - they called about 30mins before they came (in the time slot I booked) and were on time and in/out in a couple of mins (and made sure the new modem and phone line were working before leaving).
If you need to rebook an appointment the FAQ I linked above has a phone number or email you can use to contact Kelly Communications on - don't forget to include your booking reference from the letter. Smiley
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

They are supposed to know about the letter 😕  I'll make sure it's recomms'd out to the teams on Monday.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
plusforum
Dabbler

Thanks for the helpful replies, I posted on multiple forums because i really didn't know which was the relevant one, apologies for that.
  I forgot to mention i my original post that I only have the top half of the original letter - I consigned it to scrap after i had the call making the appointment, so I don't have any details, numbers or FAQ.  But I was very alarmed when the PN support team said it was a scam, they had no knowledge of this, and the man I spoke to even said he'd Googled Kelly and that there was no such company, other than one doing trucking or something of that sort. 
Does anyone have their number so i can get back to them and try to get this resolved?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@Kelly
There are a few internal forum posts about this, so CSC Agents should really know about this, quite importantly.
mxs
Grafter

Does anyone have their number so i can get back to them and try to get this resolved?

From the FAQ:
You can contact Kelly Communications to rearrange your appointment on 01384 418023 or email appt.enquiries@kelly.co.uk
plusforum
Dabbler

Thanks, I will chase Kelly up. 
However, does it not seriously concern the management at PN that the operative I spoke to had absolutely no idea about this, discussed (he said)  it with a manager who also knew nothing, then another who said it was a scam, causing me a good deal of worry.
This sort of misinformation and lack of knowledge by staff who interact with the public, is well....unsatisfactory.  Too weak a word?  Any comments from PN about this?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not an excuse as it shouldnt happen, but Fibre is not a main stream product but is still technically a trial and is handled by a separate team
plusforum
Dabbler

I understand  that fibre may not be mainstream product, but how is the customer to know that? 
When you speak to customer support, it's a reasonable assumption that they know what's going on, especially when they ask 2 managers about it.
It wasn't me that suggested it was  a scam, it was the manager. Surely this level of ignorance at that level  is cause for concern there?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

definetly
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Fibre (FTTC) is a mainstream product - not sure how you can suggest that when it's plastered all over the front page Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

This sort of misinformation and lack of knowledge by staff who interact with the public, is well....unsatisfactory.  Too weak a word?  Any comments from PN about this?

There have already been comments from Plusnet staff in this thread - reply #4 being the main one. That Kelly is a staff member, nothing to do with Kelly Communications who are contracted to replace the modems.
I think you can rest assured that this "misinformation" issue will be followed up with the CSC on Monday.
David
plusforum
Dabbler

Quote from: dvorak
Fibre (FTTC) is a mainstream product - not sure how you can suggest that when it's plastered all over the front page Smiley

From Pierre:
"not an excuse as it shouldnt happen, but Fibre is not a main stream product but is still technically a trial and is handled by a separate team"