cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet just tried to save me money by increasing my payments by 50%

flamesong
Grafter

Plusnet just tried to save me money by increasing my payments by 50%

I've been a loyal Plusnet customer for almost seven years; I say loyal because I have had a few problems here and there but I felt that the customer service was worth it and we came to a financial agreement regarding certain technical issues which caused intermittent disconnections. I have recommended several people to Plusnet although I only get discount for one of them. My contract expires next month and I had a call from Plusnet sales to say that they wanted to make sure I was on the best deal and that they could save me money but by the end of the call, I was told that the best they could offer me was a 50% increase on my current contract and that wouldn't even include evening and weekend calls which I currently have.

This is a worse deal than the last person I recommended is getting.

Needless to say, my loyalty just took a nosedive and I'm looking elsewhere.

15 REPLIES 15
flamesong
Grafter

Re: Plusnet just tried to save me money by increasing my payments by 50%

And as if that wasn't bad enough, I find tow providers which offer contracts at my current price and one of them, John Lewis, says that the service is provided by Plusnet.

flamesong
Grafter

Looks like Plusnet and I are history.

A second person called with the same spiel, I told them about the earlier call and they repeated the same offer, an increase of 50% from what I am paying now. By that time, I had found two providers offering roughly my current rate and hoped that they would match them but they didn't. I'm reluctant to move so I will wait a couple of days before hitting the button on the better of the two contracts.

I'm very disappointed in Plusnet right now. If I end up moving to another ISP, I think I will move my mobile phone contract somewhere else as well, just to get my distance from them.

RJM
Rising Star

My contract is up on the 28/01/2016 and I will have no hesitation in moving if I can achieve an better deal elsewhere and Plusnet are not prepared to match it.

All "service" companies seem to offer the fantastic deals to new customers but, seem quite happy to see loyal customers move-on.

Home Insurance, Car Insurance, Electricity, etc - they are all the same!

flamesong
Grafter

Well, a lot of companies, including Plusnet, charge people in rural areas (like me) more than the offers that they advertise. The Post Office don't seem to and John Lewis state categorically that they charge everybody the same regardless of location.

flamesong
Grafter

So long, Plusnet, I just signed up to John Lewis. You were clearly not interested in retaining me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless I am mistaken, the John Lewis broadband is provided by Plusnet, it just carries their brand.

flamesong
Grafter

A point I made in the second post.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

I'm sorry to hear about this @flamesong

Have you spoke to our customer options team again about what's avail;able for you?

Please feel free to private message me with your Username so I can have a look into this for you in more depth.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@BenB wrote:

Have you spoke to our customer options team again about what's avail;able for you?

Hi @BenB  did you not read message #6 dated 18/12/2016?

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flamesong
Grafter

Too late. I migrated to John Lewis two weeks ago at 2/3 the cost of Plusnet for an identical service on the same network.

Go figure.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

OK I'm sorry to hear that you have moved away from the service @flamesong and I hope everything is OK for you.

@MauriceC Thanks for pointing that out as now I can see that post as before I couldn't hence the question.

agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

It seems to be a trend with most companies, that they ignore the needs and requirements of their loyal customers, spending huge sums of money to attract more new customers. New customers are frequently offered better deals than existing ones and the new rates are hardly ever available to the existing customers regardless of how many loyal customers leave for new suppliers. The influx of new customers quite often impacts on customer service statistics. Inevitably increasing the number of dis-satisfied customers.

This  happens almost regardless of industry. Energy companies, insurance providers and vehicle breakdown services all follow this trend.

A most worrying trend is the " your plan/policy will automatically renew at the expiry date", this is a definite rip off since you are accepting a condition with no reference to any price increase.

flamesong
Grafter

I hope nobody minds but even though I started this thread, I am no longer a Plusnet customer and it is no longer relevant to me so I am unsubscribing.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@agedgopher I thought automatic contract renewal was no longer permitted; didn't BT get a telling off for doing so with their line rental?