Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet is not enough, want to leave, Can't get hold of anyone

cdmansell
Hooked

Plusnet is not enough, want to leave, Can't get hold of anyone

Hi,

I am disappointed with my Plusnet internet connection. We have broadband and phone, and last month I paid £50+ for a slow connection. We get no more than 12Mbps on a good day, which is poor, especially for £50 a month!

I believe that we can't get REAL fibre to our house, so I want to leave the service and move to another provider who can supply REAL fibre, with a guaranteed minimum speed of 80Mbps, and projected speed to 150Mbps. That for £29 a month for the first year, and £45 per month after that... so even at full price it's a minimum of 6x the speed for similar money.

Right, main problem... I can't get hold of anyone at all to talk about this. No one online chat. No one can take my calls on the phone lines. There are no methods to contact anyone otherwise. 

Please could someone get back to me and advise, please.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Plusnet is not enough, want to leave, Can't get hold of anyone

@cdmansell 

Have you teied talking to your new provider and see if they will handle the changeover for you? You'll be hit with a cancellation charge whichever way you sort it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

cdmansell
Hooked

What, even if I were out of a contract time?

Baldrick1

@cdmansell 

No not iff you are out of contract. If you can get FTTP for less then it's a no brainer. Jusr ring the new supplier and see if they can sort it for you.

Moderator and Customer

cdmansell
Hooked

Thank you. I'm expecting a call from them tomorrow... I think, however, they said as it was a change from one type to another then they would not be able to do the cancellation for me, and that I'd have to speak to Plusnet...

We'll see. Getting to speak to anyone, wither online or by phone is impossible right now... 

It's a pain, especially when in complete isolation (poorly wife) and relying on broadband for online tutoring work... ;/

Cheers

longtime_user
Hooked

If you choose the option to talk to someone about leaving plusnet, you either get straight through (yesterday) or a 10 minute wait or less (today).

If you choose to talk to customer services you receive a message that owing to current affairs (paraphrasing there) , no one can talk to you.

cdmansell
Hooked

Oh! Right. 😕

I'll call them again when I have a spare 1/2 hour. Smiley

Thanks

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You need to think carefully about what you are trying to do here.

Given that Openraeach are not entering peoples properties they will not be install FTTP. You will need to chck if its another supplier - but do you want them entering your property at the moment?

You also need to consider what you will do with your phone line. are you keeping it with PN or moving it?

Are you keeping it on your current line, or moving it to VOIP?

Either way, lots of oppertunity for things to go wrong and you being left without internet and/or phone. I would not be speaking to PH until your new FTTP is up and running,then give them the 14 days otice to cancel.

Baldrick1

@cdmansell 

As you can run both services side by side I'd be tempted to pay the price and get the one up and running before cancelling the other. This eliminates the risk of ending up with no connections if things get screwed up or delayed by the current crisis.

Moderator and Customer

cdmansell
Hooked

There is already a fibre connection to the house from a previous installation. 

The new supplier would not need to enter the house, just send the router for me to connect, and they switch on from elsewhere.

I also have been told that they can set up the new broadband, and then, once that is done, set up the new phone and take the existing number at that point. 

That is why I want to speak to Plusnet, to make sure of my cancellation times etc. so I don't get caught out... I can't afford to have two systems running together for long, but I can't be without internet due to work commitments, and also the safety of my family in isolation.

Thanks

Baldrick1

@cdmansell 

The problem that you may encounter is that your new ISP will set up the new service but the cancellation will occur as and when Openreach have engineer availabilty. This is a moveable feast during this crisis.

I guess that you have to balance the cost of running the two together against the risk of being without internet or phone for an unknown period, if any. 

Personally I would listen to what Plusnet say but remember that the truth can be time varying.

Moderator and Customer