Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect Problems (McAfee).

FIXED
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Plusnet Protect Problems (McAfee).

Hi, I have Plusnet Protect as part of my Unlimited Fibre Extra package. Three times today I have had a notification pop up from McAfee informing me that my cover ceases in 5 days and that I should renew (maybe not the exact words but close enough).

Clicking on the warning (as if renewing) takes me to the Plusnet site.

Is there a fault? should i ignore? or do I need to do something to keep Plusnet Protect (McAfee) operational?

22 REPLIES 22
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Plusnet Protect Problems (McAfee).

I can't see any reason on your account why it would run out.

Can you get a screenshot of it the next time it pops up?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

If it's not about to end, that's hunkydory.  All I can think is that it's a throwback to when I used to have McAfee myself, but that was many years back and I stopped it when I got it from PlusNet, initially £2/month I think on an ordinary Fibre Unlimited package.

Thanks for the reply, I got a screenshot which I attach.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Plusnet Protect runs on a 30 day basis and should auto renew each month.

If it expires and stops working, let us know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Will do thanks, that might explain the messages better than my theory.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems Wink

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pwilliams62
Dabbler

This frustrating problem below also happened a couple of weeks ago and was rectified by removing Plusnet Protect from “Add-Ons” and then adding it again. Note you have to wait a few hours for an email to complete this process.
Today the same problem has returned so there is a fault in Plusnet Protect.

ON MY WIFE’S COMPUTER
McAfee security centre
Your computer is at risk.
Your subscription has expired (I have never had one except in Plusnet Protect)
McAfee is no longer protecting you against the latest threats
|Renew| |Check for updates|

Security & Maintenance
We have turned on Windows Defender Anti-virus
McAfee Virus Scan has expired

ON MY COMPUTER
I logged on to my Plusnet account and saw a page listing the provisions covered by Plusnet Protect. I picked “download” and “McAfeeSetup-Serial.exe” was downloaded. Ran this and got a McAfee serial number. Picked “download”, entered the serial number and eventually got the message “We’re sorry but there are no programs that you can install from this McAfee account. Please log in with another McAfee account and try installing again.”

Phoned Plusnet Support and advisor could not solve the problem so he wrote down the information above to pass on to the technical support team.

pwilliams62
Dabbler

I have since seen an email from Plusnet today, confirming the removal of the Plusnet Protect service from my account. This is obviously what is causing the problem.

Gandalf 01-07-017 did say Plusnet Protect runs on a 30 day basis and should auto renew each month. This removal (or lack of renewal) seems to be an automatic process that is activated when Plusnet Protect is removed (in order to add it on again). A reset is required by Plusnet Support so Plusnet Protect can be left working on accounts where it is added again after a brief removal.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@pwilliams62 wrote:
This removal (or lack of renewal) seems to be an automatic process that is activated when Plusnet Protect is removed (in order to add it on again). A reset is required by Plusnet Support so Plusnet Protect can be left working on accounts where it is added again after a brief removal.

The add-on wouldn't be removed from your account to renew your subscription. If the add-on was still on your account when the rolling monthly subscription came up, it would renew on the backend.

If the add-on had been removed, it would just not renew.

Looking over the history of the account, the Plusnet Protect service had remained active on the account going to back to 2014 with no problems until recently.

Hopefully this should be resolved now, looking at the current state of the account.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
pwilliams62
Dabbler

This problem has not been resolved. It is my payment day today and I have had this email:

We're emailing to confirm that we've removed the Plusnet Protect service from your account.

If you still have the Plusnet Protect software installed on your PC, you should now uninstall it.

Should you want to sign up for Plusnet Protect again, you can do so at any time by:

1. Going to your Add-Ons page at https://www.plus.net/McAfee/downloads.html (you'll need to sign in with your account username and password).

2. Clicking the 'Add' button next to 'Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee'

I had years of Plusnet Protect running continuously and now I am having this problem every month. 

I am currently on the phone again, with at least a 30 minute wait, trying to get it sorted. Last month I spoke to an advisor who kept mixing up Phone Protect and Plusnet Protect.

pwilliams62
Dabbler

Just got through on the phone and was told by the advisor that Plusnet Protect has not been removed from my account and to make sure he will remove it and add it on again. I should have ignored the email which is probably a glitch. I asked, if Plusnet Protect was still on my system, why does he have to remove it and then add it back again? I did that last month but it did not roll over this month without sending me this email, which wastes a lot of my time. Lets hope it rolls over correctly next month.

pwilliams62
Dabbler

This is just about driving me insane. I had a email that Plusnet Protect was ready to reload. This was because the advisor removed it from "add-ons" yesterday, so I had to go through the reloading process again. After the process was completed McAfee would not work and I got a red warning page. I tried to go through the McAfee reloading process and my PC just hung up. I could not sign out or shut down because it kept saying McAfee was not responding. I eventually had to do a hard shut down by holding down the power button.

I have now started all over again by removing McAfee with add/remove programs. I removed Plusnet Protect from my Add-ons and then adding it again, I am now waiting for the email to tell me the new McAfee is ready. If this does not work I do not know what to do because Plusnet support do not seem to be able to help me. One hour and twenty minutes of my time wasted already. 

pwilliams62
Dabbler

Looking back in this thread, there was a post on 9 Oct 2017 from Harry Beesley from the Plusnet Help Team. I quote "Looking over the history of the account, the Plusnet Protect service had remained active on the account going to back to 2014 with no problems until recently. Hopefully this should be resolved now, looking at the current state of the account."

Well as I have stated in the last 2 days, it is not resolved, even though I have phoned support. I have just tried to find an email address to raise a ticket for this problem. It seems this cannot be done anymore. Do the Plusnet support team monitor this forum instead of the old email system? If so why is no one responding to my problem?

pwilliams62
Dabbler

Finally got McAfee back on but with a big red warning that my computer is at risk because real-time scanning is OFF. I have been clicking on it but cannot get it to turn on.  Why has this reloaded with real-time scanning off? This has never happened before. 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

I see that I started this post a little while back. My McAfee has remained operational without a need to re-install since, but last week I had a warning from McAfee that my licence was about to expire and suggesting that I renew it at once or cover would be withdrawn.

On the back of this post, I ignored it and all seems to be working still (maybe I haven't reached the expiry date yet?).

Considering the arrangement that PlusNet has with McAfee, which must affect many accounts, couldn't McAfee alter their reminder system to remind the account holder rather than the licensee? Remind who pays the bills, not who uses.

Just a thought.