Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Are you able to provide FTTC?

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Plusnet Are you able to provide FTTC?

I have been a plusnet customer for a year and a bit! Desperately to leave to go to BT  Cheesy
I am moving house in next month and its a new development.  I am going to be given ADSL.  But my brother and my sister in law who live in the area (Adjacent to the development) and connected to the same cab my new build house is connected to.  They can get FTTC and when I put in my postcode on BT.com or Plusnet or BT's DSL checker I can't get fibre  Undecided .
Please can someone explain this? I am really annoyed about this.
I am going to contact OpenReach at last resort if things don't work out. Kiss
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
18 REPLIES 18
x47c
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Are you able to provide FTTC?

Problem will be you only have the post code to put in.
Here is a possible scenario
It could be that for that post code, there are houses connected to two different cabinets.........and only one of these cabinets is FTTC enabled.
So the post code checker cannot possibly know which one your place is to be connected to........
So to ensure Bt/Plusnet does not give out duff info in saying you can when actually you can't, it plays safe and says you cannot have FTTC regardless.
If you had the actual property phone number of course...................
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi JamieDanjoux,
It's never as definitive when entering the post code, it could be that it is on  a separate cab it could be that it's because you're entering the post code and maybe not all of the addresses are fibre enabled yet.
As soon as the phone number is confirmed we'd be able to get more detailed answers and push this to our suppliers if there did seem to be a mismatch somewhere.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for letting me know Chris!
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I might leave to BT instead!  Shocked
I heard that Plusnet aren't good in that area and BT should be considered
kmilburn
Grafter

Given that Plusnet use BT (wholesale/openreach) as their suppliers,  there is no difference in the ability to support any connection between BT Retail and Plusnet  (short of what any conspiracy theories would have you believe).
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I have asked my nephew to call round at the new house and take some pictures of the cable from the ground (BT CABLE)
I've attached a few pictures that my nephew sent.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and what is that supposed to show
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Well plusnet said that they'd have to install the phone line but there is one already there and just the case of needing to be activated at the exchange.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Is there a socket attached to that line? If so, and if the line only needs to be reactivated, you should be able to plug a phone in and get a dial tone and also (with any luck) dialling 17070 should lead to the line's number being read back to you. If you could pass that on we'll be able to push this on.
I'm afraid if there's no dial tone (or no socket) the line still technically needs installing and may well require an engineer visit. If you let us know either way on the ticket we'll get things moved on.
EDIT: Just noticed the age of the thread, sorry about that  Embarrassed If it still needs picking up let me know but I hope things have moved on from there!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@Matttaylor
There's basically 2 standard tel sockets no BT master. There is a white cable dangling outside property (tel socket) and a black BT cable which is the physical line cable. The telephone sockets are connected after each other I.e
Tel socket 1 --> tel socket 2 rather than
BT master --> tel socket 1
                --> tel socket 2
I think the engineer would install a external NTE?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

In all honesty I'm not sure, though if the line's working and has a number we should be able to at least attempt to place an order. Is that the case?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

What the problem is, I need the 2 cables connected to provide a sufficient service. Neither BT or Bellway construction workers are able to connect it up. Please can you send out an engineer ASAP to connect it up, unless i can do it?
I can provide Photos of what it looks like now? There are in the earlier post by me.
Jamie
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Perhaps you can explain very simply why you think you need both cables connecting
If you mean that the BT black cable isn't connected to the phone sockets then it is a new install as your phone sockets aren't connected to the BT line
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

It is a new build house, and obviously it is a new install!!
Jamie