cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet to Hike the Cost of Annual UK Phone Line Rental

Anonymous
Not applicable

PlusNet to Hike the Cost of Annual UK Phone Line Rental

This is news to me, is it mentioned somewhere ?

Internet provider PlusNet looks set to raise the price of its pre-paid Line Rental Saver service by around £1 next month, which means that some of their broadband bundles could end up costing a little more than they do today.
The change, which was originally due to take place yesterday but has since been delayed to July, means that customers whom opt to save money by paying 12 months of their phone line rental in advance (currently £113.88 or £9.49 a month) will now be charged £125.88 (£10.49 a month) instead.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/06/budget-isp-plusnet-hike-cost-annual-uk-phone-line-renta...
My average phone bill is £zero, so I would like a discount for low usage clients.
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: PlusNet to Hike the Cost of Annual UK Phone Line Rental

I would like a discount for low usage clients.

That's a fair idea PlusComUK, it would probably be more relevant to those with low usage months on Anytime as we still have our supplier costs to cover as far as line rental is concerned.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If it does go up I'm moving back to BT. At £10.99 plus 99p for caller ID it will be 73p a month dearer  than BTplus if you get a line fault you ring a fault number and normally get a reply within in hours not days like PN.
Same old story the loyal customers paying for all the free promotions and TV adverts. Sky packages are looking very attractive.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well given that using a provider like Primus you can get basic line rental for £6.29/month NO CALLS included though. When I move to fibre this is probably where I will move as my usage is almost zero as well, include 18185 and you have a basic cheap phone.
About the only thing that stopped me moving to them before was the extortionate cost of caller id (£2.50/month) but given that most of the calls I am getting now have id withheld this is of little use.
NB this isn't an upfront cost (12*6.29 but 6.29 per month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here too..
Not so much of a saving now..
According to recent reports, Plusnet is to raise its line rental charge for all customers who choose to go for the Line Rental Saver option.
From next month onwards, the money-saving option will cost £1 per month more which means some of Plusnet's bundles are going to get a tad more expensive.
In more detail, the provider's Line Rental Saver option, which requires customers to pay the line rental charge for 12 months up front, currently costs £113.88, which equals to £9.49 per month. In July, this will rise to £125.88 or a monthly cost of £10.49.
It is also worth saying that those who don't wish to opt for the Saver option will remain unaffected and continue paying the same amount - £12.99 per month.

http://www.simplifydigital.co.uk/news/articles/2012/06/plusnet-to-raise-the-price-of-its-line-rental...
peter10
Grafter

Looks like I may be back to BT when line rental runs out as saving minimal with caller display. Suspect BT will be offering an inducement at the time such as 3 months free call package including caller display (as at the moment). Seem to be plenty of offers around with other suppliers. Only changed my phone to PlusNet this year.
glloyd
Rising Star

I'm certainly going back to BT if they raise prices unless they include more in the package such as caller ID. PlusNet will be pretty stupid to risk losing some much working capital that would cost them a lot of money to borrow from a bank.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The fact that caller id is free from BT (with the FREE Privacy at Home package) I don't really see why it can't be free from other providers as well. The only other option I would want would be anon caller reject, but I ain't paying £4 for it Crazy
glloyd
Rising Star

One other point - BT and PlusNet seem to increase their call and rental charges every six months yet we see no mention of BT wholesale price increases. In fact when the last price increase was announced in December I asked had wholesale prices increased and it was met with silence.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Being a happy PN broadband user I was thinking of moving my phone across to them.  Have to rethink this now. Sad
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: glloyd
One other point - BT and PlusNet seem to increase their call and rental charges every six months yet we see no mention of BT wholesale price increases. In fact when the last price increase was announced in December I asked had wholesale prices increased and it was met with silence.

Ever heard of a Cartel?
What some other users are perhaps forgetting is the the basic line rental is more expensive with BT Retail, so at the end of the day you need to look at what you actually need from your phone service, and whether or not you enjoy chatting to Mumbai !
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: Anotherone
and whether or not you enjoy chatting to Mumbai !

OT!
Reminds me of the Radio Ham - It is a not raining in Tokyo Mumbai  Cheesy