cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Bully Boy Tactics

sergioramos
Dabbler

PlusNet Bully Boy Tactics

Following an email from PlusNet on 1st May advising of yet another price increase I decided to vote with my feet and leave. PlusNet very kindly advised that I had would not have to pay any cancellation fees if I decided to leave within 30 days of the email.

I instigated a "gaining provider led process" and switched to another provider, I received confirmation from PlusNet about the leave. I left on 17th May.

I have now received a final bill that includes cancellation fees. I phoned the cancellations department only to be met by a very arrogant gentleman who advised that as I did not ring to cancel myself the fees are applicable. I argued my case but I was told that my account would be closed and passed to a Debt Collection Agency, The phone was then put down on me !!!!!!!

This operative had clearly never read his own companies " Terms and Conditions"  section 15.2. 

I since phoned back and requested a senior manager call me to discuss the matter and listen to the threat on the call,but I'm still waiting

Highly unprofessional Organisation

50 REPLIES 50
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: PlusNet Bully Boy Tactics

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to My Account/Billing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Did you let them know you intended to leave due to the price increase prior to your move away?

I believe this instruction is included in the price increase letter.

sergioramos
Dabbler

15. Your right to end our agreement

15.2. If someone else requests that we end our agreement (for example a provider you're transferring to) we'll accept that notice but will email you, asking you to confirm that this is what you want. If we don't hear from you within 10 working days we'll stop providing your service.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I received one of those emails which contains the following

if you do decide to leave because of these changes, we won’t apply any early termination charges. All we ask is that you call us on 0800 587 1935 to tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 days’ notice=.

I followed the instructions and was able to leave penalty free.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to our community forums @sergioramos

I'm afraid that as people have advised above, to leave without any early termination charges as a result of the price refresh, you'd have needed to call us on the number we provided you in the price refresh e-mail to let us know you're wanting to leave because of this.

As this didn't happen I'm sorry to say but the fees are applicable.

With regards to the customer service you've received from us I'll listen to the call and make sure feedback is passed on where appropriate.
Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sergioramos
Dabbler

Thank you for taking the time to respond , I disagree with your comments and will refer to Ofcom for clarity, However I did call on the 1st May but convinently you have no record , it was also discussed via a online chat on May 20th , I do have a copy of the that chat transcript if you require
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

From what I can see no adviser viewed your account then, and the chat from the 20th May is after your service migrated away from us.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sergioramos
Dabbler

So you are accepting that you were notified within 30 days of the 1st May email ?
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

As stated above by Browni, for you to leave free of charge all we required was you to contact us within the first 30 days of receiving the price refresh email. You didn't contact us to let us know until after your services had already migrated to another provider.

Due to this, any cancellation charges on the account will still stand as we were not informed prior to the service migrating.

sergioramos
Dabbler

“tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 days’ notice”

Both of these were fulfilled, there is no stated order of preference for these actions.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Clearly you did not give them 14 days notice - ie tell them 14 days before you were going to move.

sergioramos
Dabbler

15.2. If someone else requests that we end our agreement (for example a provider you're transferring to) we'll accept that notice but will email you, asking you to confirm that this is what you want. If we don't hear from you within 10 working days we'll stop providing your service.

As per above , my new ISP informed them on 2nd May
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Like I said, you did not phone them and give the 14 days notice. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Maybe the full quote will clarify matters

There’s nothing for you to do, you’ll see the changes on your new bill from 5th June 2018. We hope you’re happy with your products and services, but if you do decide to leave because of these changes, we won’t apply any early termination charges. All we ask is that you call us on 0800 587 1935 to tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 days’ notice=.

Did you call them?