cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus net pro vs unlimited

sga101

Plus net pro vs unlimited

Hi there,
I've come to the forums for advice because I have previously got better service here than from the call centre Smiley
I'm a long time plus net customer, and have been happy with my plus net pro package.
I chose it primarily because I need good response times for vpn / gaming etc and was frustrated with not being able to watch iplayer etc at peak times without stuttering.
I now find myself running close to my bandwidth limit every month, and am therefore interested in the newer unlimited package.
What I want to know is what if anything I would be giving up by moving to unlimited?
From what I can see it is the same as pro but without the bandwidth limit, and it is a little bit cheaper, but detailed information on the two packages is hard to find.
Also I don't see why I should have to accept a 12 month lock in just to change packages. It's not as if the contract would be subsidising any new hardware or connection charges.
As an aside, it would be helpful if you could make it easier to find out what each package will cost in a given postcode.

Regards,
sga101
5 REPLIES 5
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Plus net pro vs unlimited

You should retain any extras you may have on switching. There is a non-contract option if you don't want the 12 month tie-in, but it costs more.
Compare packages here.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

There are changes in traffic prioritisation with Plusnet Unlimited though, as you say, nothing is rate limited by Plusnet. Prioritisation should have a beneficial effect on interactive protocols (streaming, browsing, etc) when the user's own connection is maxed out.
A further consideration to changing broadband product is that unless Home Phone is with Plusnet new broadband product prices are £2.50 higher.
David
sga101

Jaggies, many thanks for the useful link.
By changing to Unlimited I lose priority on

• VPN traffic

• other traffic

• downloads, p2p and usenet

The first is important to me, although I don't know how much difference it is making. The others I could live with.
But then I have to choose between changing to BT for my broadband or to plus net for my phone in order to get the reduced monthly cost.
Marketing makes me sad.  Sad
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Assuming you don't do streaming and P2P at the same time on a maxed out connection you shouldn't notice any difference between speeds with Pro and Unlimited. Though P2P is in the bronze queue on the latter product Plusnet's capacity planning is designed not to drop bronze packets.
The difference you should notice with Unlimited is that you *can* stream and do P2P at the same time (as long as upload is constrained not to max-out the upstream - so the streaming ACKs aren't delayed).
Pro is available as a £5 pm add-on with Unlimited, though it's most unlikely you would need it.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sga101,
You should also be able to opt out of a contract if you wish, though that will mean that the broadband is slightly more expensive per month.
EDIT: That would only be the case on ADSL or ADSL2+ though, not on fibre.