cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plenty of notice yet modem not sent on time

kingqueen3065
Dabbler

Plenty of notice yet modem not sent on time

After Be announced they were being bought by Sky, I gave notice and got a MAC for Plusnet. I gave Plusnet 4 weeks notice and was given an activation date of 2nd April - this coming Tuesday.
I was concerned today that I haven't received the modem. It's now Maundy Thursday; so Friday and Monday are bank holidays. So I phoned up Plusnet. After 20 minutes on hold, I was told that the modem had been sent but might not be with me in time for the activation date.
What?! I gave 4 weeks notice! And my old supplier never had 20 minutes delay on answering the phone!
Am I jumping from the frying pan into the fire?
22 REPLIES 22
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Plenty of notice yet modem not sent on time

Generally they seem to turn up a couple of days before the actual install and you'll get the text to say it has been sent around 12 minutes after it comes through your letterbox ....
Are you going onto FTTC or staying with ADSL ?
Either way, if you're anywhere near Wellingborough I've got a spare I can lend you if you get stuck.
shalom2010
Grafter

Have a check here first: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=adsl_status
Also, don't you get post on  a Saturday?
Even it arrives on Tuesday morning's post that should still okay, so don't panic yet Smiley
BTW I joined from BE & as soon as I made the order I requested that the router be sent to me straight away. I got it within two days - that was two weeks before the engineer came.
Hope you get it on time.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If the router has been sent (even if late in the evening) there is a good chance it will be delivered by the postman next (working) day. So most likely you'll receive it on Saturday. You should find a closed ticket/service notice in Help Assistant https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search confirming dispatch.
You need to select a date range and click Go to show closed tickets.
David
kingqueen3065
Dabbler

Thanks for the info all.
I checked out the tickets and it turns out Plusnet only ordered the router this evening when I rang at 6.07 pm! Support assistant was being a little economic with the truth when he said it had been ordered, he did it whilst I was on the phone. Hence why he told me it wouldn't be with me for activation on  Tuesday . I'm unimpressed.
Thanks to your offers of help and advice. I'm in Wetherby where regrettably there is no FTTC. I have a dg834g in the cupboard if needed.
Cheers
picbits
Rising Star

You'll find the staff on the forums are pretty honest and even if they aren't always around pick the posts up when they get back into the office.
Fingers crossed you'll get a decent serivce from PN as I have Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The DG834G should be fine if needed. You will have to configure it with your broadband username (accountname@plusdsl.net) and account password (accountname and password are those you use to logon to the Member Centre).
Hopefully the Plusnet TG582n will arrive by Tuesday and that should set itself up automatically using TR069. The process normally takes only 5 minutes.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Unless you are intending to use N wireless I'd be tempted to stick to the Netgear and keep the TG582n as a spare. If you ever have an issue with the line being able to test with two different routers is a real advantage - it's not uncommon for us to advise people to beg, borrow or steal a router for elimination purposes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kingqueen3065
Dabbler

With Be it was best to use their router as their equipment was tuned to provide the best possible speed with that chipset, so using a different router with a different chipset meant it was slower. Is this different with Plusnet?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I think Technicolor TG582n sync speeds on 21CN are generally good. Its wireless range and speeds comes in for some criticism, though I've not had problems with these.
Setting up port forwarding can be a challenge, I think doing this on the Netgear DG834G is easier.
What model DG834G do you have?
David
kingqueen3065
Dabbler

I'm not entirely sure. I was ultimately thinking of bridging the Plusnet router (for it's ADSL chipset) with my WNDR3700 for its internal gigabit / wireless N routing. That's what I have with Be.
Cheers
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hello there kingqueen3065,
Just checked on your account and I can see that the router order was sent to our supplier yesterday. This was processed manually by my colleague who you spoke to.
It does seem that automation had failed to send the router out in advance. Please accept my apologies for this.
With it being bank holiday weekend, I can't really guarantee (not that I ever would) when the router is going to arrive. But I can confirm the router order is processing.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Matt
kingqueen3065
Dabbler

well they managed a large stuff up at Plusnet HQ.
Before I signed up I checked with reps several times, in web chat and on the phone, that they offer Annex M upload on residential packages. I was told yes, for an additional £5 per month. This is a must for me, coming from Be where I have enjoyed upload Annex M.
So I put a ticket in, saying "you're enabling me tomorrow please don't forget to put on Annex M". To be told then that they don't do it on residential accounts ofc.
Plusnet have gone over their pre-sales logs, have identified that I was wrongly told I could have Annex M on residential account, have held up their hands and apologised profusely. They are assisting me in moving back to my old provider, as are the old provider themselves - but it was all too late and now my line is in some mad BT Openreach limbo for a week until I can be reconnected.
I am less than impressed.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi kingqueen3065,
I've dropped a ticket on your account which you can view at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search
Chris
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I wonder if Sky will continue to offer Annex M after they complete the takeover of Be?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)