Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please may I query my cancellation fee?

wivenhoe6
Grafter

Please may I query my cancellation fee?

Hello all

My wife & I have recently moved overseas to teach & so I have had to cancel my broadband & home phone line. I knew that I would have to pay the £30 cessation fee along with the remainder of the broadband contract.

I currently pay £18.99 for my home phone line & £3 for the broadband which equates to a monthly bill of £21.99.

However, I was told that I had to pay a total cessation charge of £65.43 (£30 + £35.43).

I have 3 unpaid months left on my contract with my contract due to expire late November.

Is the cessation charge correct?

Perhaps I am just confused. I did query the £35.43 on the phone & was told that home phone cancellations are charged too. I didn't think that this was the case & even if it is I'm still confused as to how we got to the total of £35.43

Can anyone shed light on this for me please?

Thank you

15 REPLIES 15
sorryimoved
Dabbler

Re: Please may I query my cancellation fee?

Wow. Funnily enough, I was told the same thing a couple of months ago when my broadband came up needing 'renewal'

Of course I was shocked at this and it'll be interesting what people have to say about this. In my situation, I am on a low income and my money can only go so far. there is no way i can stretch myself much further than I have had to do over the last few years. Iv moved four times in the time I have been with PN and even though we arent told beforehand where the "Market 1" areas are, Iv managed to move to one each and every move. Manchester, Eastbourne, Cornwall and Somerset. Hmmm! My current 'contract' for my BB ends in Feb 2020, and Im already worried about it, as the everyday household bills go up and up and up every day. I live on Pot Noodles and hoola hoops because I cannot afford food once Iv paid electric, water, top up rent, council tax, TV licence (the bain of my life) . I dont go out, I dont smoke or drink, Iv no social life, Iv cheapest mobile I can find, dont pay Sky, and Im struggling on £70 a week. I feel saddened that this Government and some companies believe some of us have bottomless purses. I certainly dont.

When I rang today, I was told that if I cancel my BB, I automatically LOSE MY LANDLINE, because its expensive for the provider to give me the line without the BB. BUT they CHARGE me nearlly £70 for cancellation, £30 cessation fee AND they want me to pay £10.95 for each month that I defer off my contracted time with them. So what I completely dont understand is, why I have to lose my landline? It costs almost £200 to have a landline fitted ,and I would then have to go through and pay that all over again, just to be able to speak to people. When I first joined PN i couldnt afford a computer, then I got one from tesco, joined the BB brigade. That computer then went out of date, (cos they also think we all have bottomless moneybags to ugrade) and I had to get rid. I was without for awhile til a friend let me have an Apple ipad2. I dont go online much except to play solitaire and do a couple jigsaws. So Im wondering what does someone do if they dont have a computer and cannot afford to buy one, (a situ I could possibly be in in 2020) Im so unhappy just now, sometimes I wonder if life is worth it...

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi sorryimoved,

Sorry to hear about your financial situation.

You can have a telephone line without broadband but not Plusnet do not provide telephone lines without broadband.

To keep the telephone line you would have to transfer it to a different provider.

I believe the post office offer a cheap telephone service.

However, it would probably be cheaper to loose the telephone line and just use the mobile phone.

Richard

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Ref cheap mobile unlimited calling plans.

PN have current mobile offer £7.70 per month and you do not need to be a PN broadband customer.

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/

Giffgaff offer unlimited calling from £10 per month.

https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans.

Either of these are considerably better value than telephone lines.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @wivenhoe6,

I'm sorry to hear that the advisor that you spoke to didn't give you a breakdown of how the cancellation charge was calculated. I've had a look into this for you now . My response contains some account specific information so I've attached it to a ticket on your account - you can view this here.

I hope that this helps, please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Emily

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@sorryimoved
You may find this basic phone and broadband service from BT for £10 pcm of some use if you qualify .
As far as I am aware Plusnet do not have an equivalent product.
https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/BTBasicBroadband/index.htm
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

If someone is teaching abroad they are, hopefully, not claiming low-income benefits from the UK.

wivenhoe6
Grafter

If someone is making accusations on a public forum they are, hopefully, reading posts correctly & not making themselves look silly!
sorryimoved
Dabbler

@wivenhoe6 wrote:
If someone is making accusations on a public forum they are, hopefully, reading posts correctly & not making themselves look silly!

hahaha.. i 'think' i know where you're heading, thank u!!

to all of you for your 'helpful' chat, am looking hard to sort myself, and i know iv got til 2020 but im a born worrier and the way time flies when iv got to my age (my Nan always said time flew once you hit 40; she wasnt wrong!!) 2020 will be here soon enough, so dont want to leave it til the last minutes...xx

sorryimoved
Dabbler

hi Emily, I too, owe u a thank u. iv just found your email about my last conversation with the call centre staff and see/note your comment on a couple of issues and want to say thank u xx

wivenhoe6
Grafter

@EmilyD

Thanks Emily but I'm still confused. My broadband was less than £4 per month but I was charged £11.81 per month.

Also, I have since been billed £22.26 which was taken on the 10th September. Could you check this out for me please & arrange a refund?

Thanks

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hi @wivenhow6,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I have created a ticket for you to look over here.

wivenhoe6
Grafter

@Mads Thank you, I've now been charged another £11.07 & haven't yet received a refund for the £22.26 taken in early September. Please could you look into this and prevent any further charges. Many thanks.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @wivenhoe6,

I'm sorry to see this refund had not yet been processed. I've submitted the refund cases for both the £22.26 payment and the £11.07 payment and would expect these to be back in the account they were taken from within the next 10 working days.

Thanks for your patience. I do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
wivenhoe6
Grafter

Thank you Harry.

Unfortunately I have received another email telling me that a further £14.49 is going to be taken from my account.

Please could you prevent this from happening. Will this ever end, please can you stop it happening every month?

Thanks