Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning a switch date and activation fees

FIXED
TooManyPies
Grafter

Planning a switch date and activation fees

I currently have fibre and phone with BT and considering switching to Plusnet. The BT contract ends on 26th May. Can you specify a date to switch?

I already have active fibre and phone. Do I still have to pay the activation fee if so what is it for?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
den32amg
Hooked

Re: Planning a switch date and activation fees

Hi, I am not a techie, but.

You are aware that BT & Plusnet are the same company, so no fees, along with Sky & Talk Talk. But if you join and want to leave the group, then apparently its £30. Still looking into that one.

BE AWARE.

Plusnet use a lot of stealth to confuse you, to keep you, gain monies or termination fees.

I have spoken to 4 advocates lately, about my problems over the last 6 months, caused by them. You can tell that they are trained to put Plusnet first, customer second, like Bt, my previous. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Stop spreading nonsense @den32amg, Sky & Talk Talk have no relationship whatsoever to the BT group of companies.
TooManyPies
Grafter

Thank you for replying @den32amg even though you didn't answer my questions!  In fact what you said in your first paragraph is fundamentally incorrect.  I see that you have been provided with a comprehensive explanation in a different thread so I'll leave it at that.

den32amg
Hooked

Excuse me, I am not that bad.

BT own Plusnet, first paragraph, which why I mentioned.!

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

It normally takes two weeks to migrate, which of course means that you should start the process two weeks before the desired migration date.  There are sometimes delays, but if you are going from a BT product to the equivalent PN product, there is every chance it will go ahead seamlessly.  However, the 26th is a Saturday of a bank holiday weekend so I suspect nothing will happen until the 29th.  Unless you are very cash-strapped it might be best to initiate the process early in the day on the 14th (giving it ten working days); the worst that can happen is that you end up paying BT the out-of-contract rate for a few days.

Looking at the current PN deals there is no activation fee for Unlimited Fibre 12-month contract.

Other contributors on this forum, and PN staff, may be able to provide more definitive information.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Welcome back @TooManyPies

Can you specify a date to switch?

As far as I'm aware you can't request it as part of the signup journey but we can amend the order completion date afterwards. Feel free to let me know over here when you've got an account and I'll happily help out.

I already have active fibre and phone. Do I still have to pay the activation fee if so what is it for?

Yeah the activation fee would be applicable still as we'd need to activate the service with Plusnet.

However, some of our current deals do discount the activation fee either to £0 or to £15.

Hope this helps.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TooManyPies
Grafter

@den32amg wrote:

Excuse me, I am not that bad.

BT own Plusnet, first paragraph, which why I mentioned.!

Yes but they don't own Sky or Talk Talk  My question was about the activation fee not the line cease fee.  For what its worth I have no intention of going to either of them!

den32amg
Hooked

Thanks Jonpe.  My original intention was to notify that I had seen an advert during my search, that grouped together the 4 names mentioned, not that they were 1 owner. A back door monopoly. But then the government do protect the main services in Britain, like BT, water gas and electrics. It mentioned that if you left anyone of the 4, to go elsewhere outside the group, there was a fee. I have never paid a fee, on my now 4 Co, perhaps thats why I supposedly got it wrong 

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

Clearing all this up with the different fees they're largely applied by Openreach for doing, well, anything really. If your moving provider you'd pay activation to have the service moved (even within BT/Plusnet as they're considered separate companies), though a lot of deals will cover this anyway.

The £30 for leaving mentioned would be a cease fee, charged if you were to leave the BT wholesale network. So moving to Virgin, cancelling outright, or using a LLU provider, like sky or talk talk.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It's not rocket science Funny
Kdog
Aspiring Pro

No, but with so many different fees for this that and the other depending on where you go, how you do this etc I can understand where people get mixed up.
den32amg
Hooked

Thank you Kdog, cannot wait for people like him to reach this far, given the name, probably out of the rear end.

I only questioned it because I was with bt, then plusnet, with no fees, why would you its the same boxes. Before that Tiscali and TalkTalk, with no fees. I was not told of any " fees for leaving ", when they phoned me to continue for the new contract, and I was looking for an excuse to make a stand, for the lies and deceit for the last 6 months.

Anyway, thank you again for your interpretation of life in general, have a good week