Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line slammed by unknown company

srangeley
Grafter

Phone line slammed by unknown company

Hi all,
I just wanted to report on the forum that after being with Plusnet for only a MONTH, I got home last Friday to find my phone line had been slammed, although at the time I thought it was a broadband fault so I reported it to Plusnet using the fault report tool.
I then saw a ticket had been raised on my account about a LLU PSTN cease being completed and asking for the account to be cancelled! I got straight on to Live Chat using my parents' laptop and reported it. Apparently Plusnet don't know who has taken over my line and I have no idea either as I haven't even enquired with any other ISPs. They could only tell me that it would be a LLU provider such as TalkTalk, Sky or Virgin.
My phone line was allocated a new temporary number so I have had no service whatsoever all weekend.
I also contacted Plusnet via Twitter to ask how long it would take to get my service restored and I was initially told TWO WEEKS! When I asked how I could report the offending company to OFCOM however, someone called Adam said he had 'taken ownership' of this and placed an order to reactivate my line today, following which he would raise an expedited fibre order, but gave no timescales for this.
It does appear that my old phone number has been restored as I tried phoning earlier and got through to my answerphone, but I don't know about the fibre until I get home.
All Plusnet could tell me is that this must be a case of mistaken identity (someone giving my address in error), but I'd like to know:
1. How often does this happen, given the short time I've been with Plusnet, and what are the chances of it happening to me again?
2. How can I (or Plusnet) find out which company has slammed me, and why?
3. Should/can I report this to OFCOM and is there any point in doing so?
Any advice / experience would be appreciated!
Thanks
Steven
16 REPLIES 16
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Phone line slammed by unknown company

If someone had given your address in error then surely your telephony providers would of sent you a letter , we are sorry that you are leaving us, and should be given a short time from that point to reconsider/stop the unknown /new provider  taking over the line,  BT retail will usually send it's customers a letter  once they receive notice from BT openreach  of the impending cease date
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear about your issues.
I can see my colleague Adam's handling this for you and we'll get you online as soon as possible.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
srangeley
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
If someone had given your address in error then surely your telephony providers would of sent you a letter , we are sorry that you are leaving us, and should be given a short time from that point to reconsider/stop the unknown /new provider  taking over the line

Yeah, you'd have thought that's what SHOULD happen wouldn't you?!?
But no, I haven't received any letters or e-mails from other providers or Plusnet saying that my line was being stolen from me / Plusnet. Plusnet told me if they had received such a notification, they would have been in touch with me straightaway, but nothing, so it seems it was as much a surprise to them as it was to me when I got slammed  Cry
I'm going to report this to OFCOM anyway, not that they'll do anything I'm sure but they need to be made aware that this is happening.
Steven
srangeley
Grafter

Thanks Matthew.
Yes, Adam is requesting an expedited re-activation date today, which I certainly hope is a lot earlier than the 29th which is mentioned on an automated ticket that was raised around midnight!!  Angry
Cheers
Steven
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Why did PN not bother to inform the user of the switch?
As per OFCOM faqs : http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/switch_landline_supplier
"It will liaise with your existing phone company and both companies will then write to you to confirm the transfer and the date on which it will take place."
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Because they didn't know - see reply 3
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Another cup of coffee is in order i think  Lips_are_sealed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

srangeley
Grafter

Matthew,
I've reported this to OFCOM and added their reference number to my ticket.
Steven
srangeley
Grafter

I take back what I said about OFCOM! I had a very comprehensive e-mail from them yesterday saying that they have contacted Openreach on my behalf in an attempt to find out which provider slammed me. They have asked me to phone them after 4 working days for the results and will hopefully be able to advise me then how I can take the matter further.
It's certainly more than I expected, given that they say they don't investigate individual complaints  Smiley
Steven
StuartUK35
Grafter

Not in Gloucester are u ?! Cheesy
srangeley
Grafter

No, near Manchester, why? Have you been slammed too? Or am I being dim and missing a joke?  Grin
StuartUK35
Grafter

some Plum from BTOR swapped our line on the 20th in the afternoon with someone else's..  (in the local cabinet)
swapped back the following day....
srangeley
Grafter

Lucky you - it's a week tomorrow since I lost my fibre  Cry
Plusnet have just informed me that they are 'hoping to get the service reactivated early next week'. This was supposed to be an expedited order, which is hardly that when the original date given was the 29th!
I can't understand why it's so difficult to get an engineer to reverse what the unknown company did without permission - I'm sure I'm simplifying things but I'm certainly not impressed  Angry
Steven
srangeley
Grafter

I have just spoken to OFCOM regarding the complaint I raised with them last week. They have been in touch with Openreach in the meantime and have told me that it was PLUSNET who ceased my line, not another provider that slammed me. This puts a whole new light on things!  Angry
Apparently it's going to be Friday before I get my fibre back and it sounds like an engineer may need to visit my house again, does that sound right?!?  Sad
Steven