cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom data

Epicure

Phantom data

On Friday I was told that I had exceeded by data usage limit and another 2Gb had been added. Fair enough, that happens often, but on Saturday morning I was told I had exceeded it again. I spoke to someone on Chat who showed me a usage chart showing I had used about 3Gb between 7am and 9am on Saturday morning. I was assured it could not possibly be Plusnet's fault but a Google search showed that they have form. Anyway it was my fault apparently, but I was only browing facebook and didn't download or upload anything. I asked if I could have been hacked but the answer was no. After much discussion that involved the 'broken record' technique I agreed to turn off the router for 4 hours than come back. I was offered a transcript and completed feedback. After 4 hours I had another pointless discussion along the lines of the first. Nothing had been detected in that 4 hours. At the end I was typing in a request for a transcript and he cut me off! When I tried to post feedback the link would not work. My son and I thought someone might have found a way into my password protected wi fi so we changed the password. I will be keping a careful eye on things for a while. Incidentally, I asked what website the supposed data downloads came from but apparently I'm not allowed to know. However they could provide such data to the police in the case of a criminal investigation. I never download large amounts of data or indulge in gaming, streaming etc so I know if definitely wasn't me who downloaded it.
12 REPLIES 12
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Phantom data

Do you have a SamKnows testing box?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hex
Grafter

Or are you running windows 10?  There was a large update released recently that was around 3GB in size (build 10568) - it could be other updates also if not, but given the size this sounds like a prime suspect. Wink
Epicure

I guess it could have been one of my neighbours downloading Windows 10, it certainly wasn't me as I don't want it. I've never had such a large update for anything and I think i would have noticed as I was sitting at the computer at the time.. Is it possible for someone to change the password on a router remotely? When I typed in my password to change it the old password was not recognised and I had to reset to factory defaults to set a new one. Then it said it was connected to the internet but every page would just hang and time out. I eventually succeeded though. No one else has access to my computer by the way, not physical access anyway. And I have disconnected wireless now.
Epicure

I don't have a Sam Knows testing box
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Does the computer run Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1....microsoft also "pushes" the windows 10 download to PC's running these versions of the OS........... as it is a free upgrade.
If you click on the windows icon on the taskbar what does it say?
The task bar icon may be on the bottom right of the screen by the clock.
Epicure

It says get Windows 10 now, upgrade for free. I am still on Windows 7 and nothing has changed. There are no recent downloads and my internet history shows nothing I didn't know about.
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Microsoft has downloaded windows 10 onto your PC "ready" for you to upgrade.... Sad Angry Sad
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, I'd agree with that idea. Well at least you won't have to wait if you want to upgrade to 10.  Tongue
However, how did you manage to log in to your router in order to change the password, if as you say the password you entered as the old one wasn't recognised? If your browser remembers these details for you then if the password had been changed the login would have failed, so you would have been able to reset it. So maybe you just mis-typed it when asked.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@ Mook -presumably he just reset the router using the hidden reset button -if so, no security would be set
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Epicure
When I typed in my password to change it the old password was not recognised and I had to reset to factory defaults to set a new one.

Yes, this was done but after a failed attempt to change it.
Epicure

Yes I pressed the little reset button with something pointy. How can I check to see if Windows 10 has come in uninvited? Or if not that what was it? It has been suggested that it was an update but my biggest programme is nowhere near that size so I can't see how an update can be. I have checked my internet history and 'add/remove programmes' as was. Also disc cleanup doesn't reveal a lot of temporary files to clean up. There must be something somewhere that will tell me what it was. Plusnet insist that it can't be anything they did and also say it's unlikely a neighbour could have used my router. They can't tell me what it was, only that it definitely happened (in their view).
Epicure

I have Googled about Windows 10 and it seems it's true, Microsoft are downloading Windows 10 without permission (up to 6 gigabytes) to people's hardrives, and pushing those who are not on 'unlimited' over their limits by a long way in some cases (mine for example). As this issue was first detected several months ago I am surprised Plusnet did not warn us and give us the opportunity to take preventative action. Microsoft should be sued over this but I suspect they can afford a better lawyer than I, or any of us, can.