cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penny rounding error throughout 2018-19 billing if call time rounded up to an even number of minutes

minnie77

Penny rounding error throughout 2018-19 billing if call time rounded up to an even number of minutes

Much as I have tried to complain before, and Plusnet has always insisted its billing calculations were correct, throughout the last year since the new billing system came in on 14th November 2018, any call made to a landline (not a mobile) number  that lasted for an odd number of minutes and some seconds, which was then rounded up to an even number of minutes, has had an extra penny added to it.

An very recent example is:

28/11/2019  15:01:47  1246XXXXXX  UK Landline  00:05:48  £1.04

However, with a set-up fee of 22p plus call charges at 13.5p per minute for a rounded up number of minutes to 6, the fee should have been (22p + (6 * 13.5p) = 81p) = £1.03.  But the 'system' has added an extra penny even though there was no rounding involved.

This has happened on EVERY landline call we have made that had a duration like this that, when rounded up to the next minute, became an even number of minutes.  I haven't added it up yet but it's a LOT of penny rounding errors which I want refunded!

I notice, however, that this error looks like it may have been corrected in the latest month's bill, although it is still early days.

I am happy to give even more examples and a complete list of the overcharged calls, as I am that sad control freak who keeps a list of all my calls on a spreadsheet which includes a calculation of cost of every call.

Would someone on this forum please confirm that I am correct?

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Penny rounding error throughout 2018-19 billing if call time rounded up to an even number of min

I had not realised just how expensive calls are. Have you thought of using your spreadsheet to calculate how much you would save by taking a calls package?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Penny rounding error throughout 2018-19 billing if call time rounded up to an even number of min

I'd agree. One reason I use my mobile. No setup fees and now I see a lot of packages come with unlimited UK calls to landlines and mobiles. Cheap too. Even my 'basic' package comes with 3000mins, 4Gb data and god knows how many sms for just £7.50. Makes a call lasting 6mins charged at over a £1 look like daylight robbery.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?