cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment methods questions before possible move from dial up to broadband?

Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Payment methods questions before possible move from dial up to broadband?

I haven't been on this forum in ages, nor did I check my account for a good while.
At the moment I have a dial up account for which I pay with a debit card (delta) every 3 months. I am sniffing around the Plusnet website as I am looking into upgrading my dial up account to a broadband account.
I have checked my payment method and on that page I was asked to authorise the next payment? When this feature started? I had no problems up to the last payment in may, I am curious to know.
I have checked the payment methods that were accepted for broadband account payment, and was very surprised that debit cards and visa credit cards were not accepted for payments? Only mastercards?Why? What's the difference between a Visa credit card and a Mastercard credit card?
20 REPLIES 20
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Payment methods questions before possible move from dial up to broadband?

I've not seen this before, it might be related to some work we did to ensure Maestro / Solo cards weren't used for recurring payments. Can you get us a screen shot please? I'm not able to replicate this from here.
We are happy to use Visa (debit and credit), Delta, Electron, Mastercard and American Express for subscription payments on Plusnet. Again, if you can get me a screenshot of where it says / implies otherwise I'll investigate further because I can't trace where you've seen this.
Lolaan
Rising Star

Sorry, I don't know how to insert a screenshot in my post, but I can give you the link to go to that page :
http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/account_admin_faq.shtml#6
If you can confirm that I can carry on using the same method of payment that I have been using over the years to pay for my dial up when I upgrade to broadband, that's fine.
I have checked my account again and my method of payment, and it states at the bottom of the "view/update payment details" in my account that "Your Debit Card payment for subscription billing on Aug 2010 has been authorised."
Yesterday I was asked to authorise the next payment and it led me to a page with a choice of authorising it or fill in for direct debit.
Do I have to authorise every payment from now on?
If you tell me how to insert a screenshot in my post, it'll be welcome, as I said it's new to me. I got the screenshot in my pictures on my netbook but don't know how to upload it. (not very computer litterate, as you can see.....)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Use the Additional Options and Attachments link at the lower left when composing a post
Lolaan
Rising Star

Thanks. I have tried but it doesn't work. The picture doesn't show in the preview.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three ways to pay for your account:
Direct Debit
Credit Card
Cheque
Monthly subscription and one-off payments can be made with a MasterCard, Visa (Electron) or American Express Credit Card.
Only one-off payments are possible with a debit card (Switch, Maestro, Solo etc).
Cheque payments are only available to business customers paying in quarterly or annual instalments
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe it's because I am using debit card and it said that only one-off payments are possible with this card that I have now to authorise every transaction made with this debit card.
I don't mind using a credit card if I must, but it'll be a visa credit card, not a mastercard.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

The picture only shows up after posting not in the preview
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You should only be prompted to authorise payment if you're paying with Maestro / Solo. If this is happening on other cards then we need to get a problem raised.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its not used often, but the card on my account is an American Express one
Lolaan
Rising Star

Quote from: BenTrimble
You should only be prompted to authorise payment if you're paying with Maestro / Solo. If this is happening on other cards then we need to get a problem raised.

The payment type for my primary payment details is noted as Delta. When I go to the page where I can update details of my card, the Visa Delta is listed in the card type list, however the first thing you can read after "Account Details at the top is  : "Update your payment method - You can pay by credit card or direct debit".
And I still have the " Your Debit Card payment for subscription billing on 22 Aug 2010 has been authorised." at the bottom of the page, as I had to authorise the payment two days ago. (Well, I didn't know if I had to, but I did, just in case).
So I don't know what's going on with my payments, maybe it should be sorted out before I upgrade to broadband. I would like to keep the same payment method if possible for my broadband account.

Quote from: Oldjim

Sorry, I forgot to say that I tried posting the picture too but it doesn't work neither. Must be something I did wrong while taking the screenshot on my netbook.
Lolaan
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim

Shocked Shocked  Is that it? At the bottom of the post ?  Shocked Shocked
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yup it is  Grin
Lolaan
Rising Star

Well, I never......  Smiley
You learn every day.
Thanks for your help, Oldjim.  Kiss
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Lolann, did you try clicking on your pic and see the original size one?
Lolaan
Rising Star

Yes, I did. It works alright, I think.
Lolaan
Rising Star

Has anyone got an answer about the problem with the payment methods and why I have to authorise payments with my debit card? I would like to have this sorted before upgrading to broadband.