cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying final bill problem

Retroguy
Hooked

Paying final bill problem

I cancelled my account with plusnet on 26th March this year due to moving house. I received an email a few weeks later saying I have a final bill of £16.49 to pay.
I attempted to log into my account to check my bill to ensure it was the correct figure but my account had been locked, preventing me from viewing my final bill!!
I have just received an email from a collections company stating that I owe plusnet £20.61!
I would like somebody from plusnet to contact me and explain why I was locked out of my account preventing me from viewing my final bill and why the increase from £16.49 to £20.61

I had every intention of paying my final bill with plusnet but not before being allowed to view my bill to see what I am being charged for and I most certainly will not be paying any extra on top that they have added for whatever reason!!!!

Please contact me ASAP regarding this matter.
8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Paying final bill problem

@Retroguy 

I am trying to get your post into context. Would it be correct that soon after you left Plusnet and before receiving the final settlement, which might have been either a charge or credit,  you cancelled your DD?  You then received the final bill , which, having found your account closed, you have done nothing about for 3 weeks or so? This has now been automatically sent on to a debt collection agency, which has attracted a non payment charge and can damage your credit record?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Retroguy
Hooked

Actually you are incorrect. I left plusnet after moving house, I have left nothing for any amount of weeks as I received an email at the end of April stating that I owed £16.49. Upon attempting to log into my account recently I had been blocked and could not view my bill or make a payment.
The direct debit was cancelled because I had just paid a bill to plusnet and I believed that my account would be clear. I do not leave direct debits active on my bank account once accounts have been terminated as I have had issues in the past with companies taking money from my account without permission.
I have received no final bill from plusnet, just an email very recently stating I owe them some money. No bill was attached to the email and my account had been blocked so I couldn't check or pay this bill. Nothing has been ignored, I handle my bills online because I have an issue using the telephone which makes hearing people difficult so viewing my bills online was an essential service for me.
If plusnet are going to remove the option to log into my account they should at least have the decency to email a bill to me so that I can see what they are attempting to charge me.
I would appreciate any further commenters refrain from judging me as you know nothing about my personal circumstances and my reasons for wanting to view my bills online!!
Baldrick1

@Retroguy 

My apologies for ruffling your feathers. I was not 'judgining you', just trying to understand the issue.

From reading posts on this forum it appears that the Plusnet billing system is not fit for service.

Maybe the point I should have stressed more is to make you aware that as well as sending your bill on to a Debt Collection agency it is likely that a black mark will have been added to your Credit Record. This can cause issues when taking out other services such as Insurance, so you may need to get that checked and if necessary addressed as well as paying your bill.

Hopefully a Plusnet staffer wil spot this post and respond.

Moderator and Customer

Retroguy
Hooked

My apologies if my reply seemed abrupt. I am just a litttle annoyed with plusnet at the moment over this issue. You are correct, the billing system needs seriously looking at.

I had responded to the email requesting the £16.49 which arrived in my inbox. I have just searched through my emails and found that I received an automated reply to my spam box stating that they do not receive replies to that email address and I should open a ticket. Had I received that to my inbox I would have been able to chase it up and post here sooner rather than wait for a reply via email. Also I cannot open a ticket if I no longer have an online account with plusnet!!
So basically plusnet, you have sent me an email demanding money without showing me a bill or allowing me access to my bills, you have refused my contact by emailing me from an email address that does not receive replies, you have blocked me from any other form of contact to query my bill yet you have the audacity to send my account to a collections agency and add extra charges to my account???

I am in 2 minds to see how this would play out if you actually have the nerve to take this to court!
I will most certainly be contacting ofcom about this matter though.
Baldrick1

@Retroguy 

If you raise a formal complaint then this will raise a ticket, which should attract their attention. See https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

It's not the 'taking to court' that you should worry about as much as the damage an uncontested debt and resultant black mark on your Credit Record. This can affect the price quoted when you take out insurance for cars, house etc. let alone other financial activity.

Moderator and Customer

Retroguy
Hooked

Thanks for the link. Strangely I can still log in and open tickets it is just the billing that I cannot access.
It seems they are purposely blocking access to my bill for some strange reason. Without a bill I cannot verify that the charges are correct (and I have had bogus charges with plusnet in the past!!)
Hopefully they will accept their mistake, grant access to my bill and finally allow me to pay.
Retroguy
Hooked

Ok it looks like plusnet are playing hardball now. My account is completely locked, I have no access to the ticket I raised and logging in now directs me to an error page.

Meanwhile I have still had no reply from a member of staff here to attempt to explain their actions. I will now be making a complaint via ofcom as I am no longer able to communicate with them via their website through my account.

I really hope they feel that £16.49 was worth receiving a formal complaint for. I had always been happy with plusnet and been a customer for 5+ years, I may have returned in the future when I needed their service again but after this I will never use their service again.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @Retroguy 

I'm sorry for the issues you've had.

Can you drop me a private message by going Here with your account username so I can take a closer look?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet