cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pausing Contract?

Pausing Contract?

Hi,
I'm currently locked into a contract until may 2016 and have paid a years line rental up front. I'm leaving my flat but I won't have a flat to move the contract to for at about 6 months.
So i've been told I have to cancel the contract and pay for the contract in full
or
Pretend to transfer it to my parents and he would put a delay on the contract for up to 3 months so it doesn't mess up my parent's service. But after 3 months I guess I would have to cancel and pay the contract in full.
If it takes me 6 months to get a new flat I still end up having to cancel the contract and lose all my money. Then I have to start a new contract and pay for a period of time which overlaps with what my current contract would have been for?
6 REPLIES 6
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Pausing Contract?

Hi image,
I just tried to call you, however, there was no answer. There is another option - you could re-contract and install the services at your parent's house so that you have your own services there (we'd waive the installation fee if you re-contract) and then do another house move when you're moving into your new flat and re-contract again so that the services are moved free of cost again...
I'd suggest giving our Customer Options House Moves team another call and discussing this option with them.

Sorry i was on the phone with plusnet at the time. Unfortunately that other option means my parent's have to cancel their contract then use mine for 6 months and when I take mine away they would have to start a new contract with their supplier again. I don't think this solution works out for them.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not necessarily. My suggestion was that you install a new line to run alongside their existing services so that you have your own phone line and broadband service in their property. Granted, you'd had to pay for the services even though you'd be able to use your parents' services, but it would save you the money to pay to cancel the contract altogether.
Or, ask your parents if they'd like to switch to Plusnet. If they do then you can move your services to take over their services and then set up a new account for yourself when you move into your new property. If you go with this option just bear in mind that we can't change ownership so the account being moved to your parent's property would remain in your name.

Wouldn't that mean I would have to pay to install a second phone line at my parent's house? I wouldn't be at my parents house for the 6 months so I wouldn't be able to use it. Wouldn't this mean that they would have two phone lines and 2 broadband suppliers?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It may be Monday Tuesday before Linn is here again to answer. However my interpretation is that a second line would be installed into your parent's property but it will be your line rather than theirs and your current phone and broadband service would be moved onto it. Effectively it is parked there even though unused (unless you visit). You would incur the normal monthly charges (but save early termination charges).
Linn suggested if you re-contract the services then the cost of the new line would be waved.
When you find a new flat you do another house move to move your line with its broadband service from your parent's property to your new flat. At that point there could be another new line charge and also the house move charge since it will be within 12 months of the previous move. However re-contract again and those will probably be waved.
If you think this is viable Linn suggested calling the House Moves team to discuss it.
Edit: Just remembered Monday is Bank Holiday so it will likely be Tuesday before Plusnet staff are here again. Cool
David
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

spraxyt's interpretation was correct.
image, if you need anything clarifying just let me know and I'll be happy to help.