cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passwords insecure

Michabur

Passwords insecure

I only signed up on friday and im already concerned at the fact the password i use to login to my account is not stored correctly and details could be accessed by an agwnt that allows them to work it out. To not store this securely in 2017 after the numerously reported data breaches is a problem that should be addressed ASAP. I dont expect to have to give this password to anyone
Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Passwords insecure

Michabur

thats not the point, nobody should be able to see any part of your password, its quite easy for someone to go back and see another 2 random letters and eventually they would have the whole password.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

With a common sense approach to password management this really is a moot point. If someone went ‘rouge’ at Plusnet and decided to harvest all the Usernames / Passwords what good would it do them?

Logically the Plusnet password should only be used for Plusnet and no where else. If anyone chooses to recycle their passwords then that is their omission not Plusnets. If you are worried about your email being read then simply get yourself a free account from the likes of Google that would serve you now as well as when / if you changed ISP.

james43

@Michabur wrote:
thats not the point, nobody should be able to see any part of your password, its quite easy for someone to go back and see another 2 random letters and eventually they would have the whole password.

I just came across this issue as I was thinking the same thing. It's astonishing that they are doing this, I work in the area. Companies stopped storing passwords in databases back in the 90's, you would have thought they learnt something from the talk talk problems.

I can only suggest you make sure you use a specific password for your plusnet account. If the inevitable happens you don't want to be that person, who's email and password for everything is published on the web.