cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overpriced package

warpspider
Grafter

Overpriced package

Ok so I've been a long time Plusnet customer, over 3 years now.
I'm on an old unlimited fibre package that is costs me 19.99 per month, I get 27dl / 4mb up (I understand the new packages offer lower UL speeds, this is a non-issue to me).
I assumed that if I rang and asked I could have my price lowered to the new amount of 14.99 or lower, this apparantely is something you do not allow unless I agree to locking myself in for another 2 year contract.
Is this seriously how you operate?  I am a long term customer yet I get this kind of treatment, in that I either pay £5 over the odds for nothing or lock myself needlessly into another 2 year contract again?  I expect this if I swap to another ISP to get a lower price / better package but I have to do the same thing for the company I'm already with for many years?
Is there really no way for me to get my bill reduced inline with what new customers get without this 2 year locking nonsense?
13 REPLIES 13
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Overpriced package

I can't see your problem. Any new supplier will lock you in to a fixed term in return for their discount. Otherwise if you are happy you won't be moving anytime soon. Unless you move house  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
warpspider
Grafter

I've been paying £5 more than new users for no reason, now that I ask for a reduction inline with what everyone else is paying (the money I'm paying for a 30mb line others plusnet users get 72mb) they tell me no and will charge me £5 more than anyone else for no reason.
If I swap company they are spending money to reconnect me, send me gear etc.  This is not the case here, I'm a long term customer and the only way they will agree to lower my vastly overpriced package by todays standards is forcing me into another 2 year contract.  How is that fair or good customer service, they lose nothing doing this (in-fact they gain because I'll have my UL capped by half, yet they won't do it just because they want to lock me in for no reason)
mav:quote
PeterLoftus
Pro

I've renewed my contract twice with PN and got a discount. Both times I've signed up for a new fixed term  Roll_eyes
If you've paying over the odds you should have rung up before  Tongue
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
warpspider
Grafter

Since they obviously don't value loyalty I'll look around what other companies can offer me instead, thanks for the input.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If you are interested in staying with PN, ring the Customer Options Team (not Sales)  and see what price they offer - Do not ask to pay the current price.  You may well find that the offer is worth considering as they will be in a position to take account of your loyalty and also reflect that the price a new customer pays includes any router costs and activation charges.
In my case, after 18 months, I was offered Unlimited Fibre Extra (normally £19.99) for £12.70 ish with a 12 month lock in...
PeterLoftus
Pro

AFAIK PN only do fixed term contracts as do all other ISPs I'm aware of. I believe you are "out of contract" meaning you pay the monthly rate which you agreed when you signed up but less the discount you will have received then. Simples  Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

That is a lot better than BT, they would not budge when I tried to see what thy would offer, hence I am now with PN. And for the sake of a call to them when my 18 month contract is up, I hope they will do me proud.
Not sure where this 2 year thing came from, PN's new contracts are 18 months.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Plusnet Customer Options team try the 2 year new contract lock in whenever they can. It is not unusual in any way.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
warpspider
Grafter

New customer:
6 months free + 14.99 per month for 18 months
3+ year customer
get into a 18 month / 2 year contract or pay 19.99, they don't value loyalty unless they can bully you into being so.  They aren't paying anything (no swap charges, no equipment) for offering me a better deal so why should they lock me into a contract over it?  If they offer me a better deal I have no reason to swap so why force the contract? they don't seem to get that.
Also I did ring and that was what I was told, 40 min wait for that too.
I used to ignore my old isps attempts to woo me back, I ignored them because I was happy with PN.  Now I see they refuse to even consider lowering my overpriced bill unless they bully me into a contract not so much.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: warpspider
Now I see they refuse to even consider lowering my overpriced bill unless they bully me into a contract not so much.

It's not bullying, it's business. You have asked to reduce your price for the same service, PlusNet have asked for 18 months commitment in return.
Your choice, if you feel aggrieved, leave!
pansy
Dabbler

I have been a PN customer for 13 years!!  Now they want to charge me an extra £6 odd per month and I get no choice of another product which is how it used to work.  I guess I shall have to call the Options Team and hope they can help me in some way.  PN is becoming very expensive now.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I read posts like this and feel extremely frustrated ! NEGOTIATE !! Cheesy
Haven't paid the "renewal" price for anything for several years eg this week car insurance renewal premium £190+ ; 5 minutes on comparison site ,range of quotes £145-£160 -ring the original Company -quote now £148  Wink
If PN don't want to retain your custom, plenty of choices out there.
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi davidj60,
Your absolutely right, if you contact our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 and ask us what we can do for your renewal we will find you the best deal to fit your needs and save some money.