cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over paying, line rental and contract query

Bb2002

Over paying, line rental and contract query

Hi

please can someone advise me. I believe Im overpaying for the service Im getting from plusnet and now due to change of circumstance I drastically need to cut my bills. Im also very unhappy with the service, I lose internet connection multiple times on a daily basis. But I don't understand why my bill for bog standard broadband is so much, and I also don't understand why, seeimg as I joined in 2014, Im still in contract?

I tried to lower my bills with PN about 8 months ago so got rid of my phone package but obviously still have to pay for line rental to have the internet...could this have produced a new contract? I also dont understand why Im being charged for caller id.

Im sorry to appear dumb but Im not very tech-savvy and need things explained to me in simple terms due to cognitive problems ( M.S).

I have been offered a deal with Vodafone for 21.00 per month including line rental, or Talk Talk for 17.00 a month including line rental, so I dont understand why PN bill is so much higher? 

This is my latest bill...

FROM TO PRICE
Total: £36.97
(inc VAT)
1 Plusnet Unlimited (Contracted) - Market 1 charge 17/02/2018 16/03/2018 £16.99
1 Line Only charge 17/02/2018 16/03/2018 £18.99
1 Caller Display charge 17/02/2018 16/03/2018 £0.99

So I feel Im paying almost 40 quid for a broadband service thats slow at the best of times and daily loss of internet!  Trying to get hold of somebody from PN either by phone or internet chat is difficult and frustrating. I want to leave PN if I cant lower my bills to match the other offers, and if somebody can advise me it would make it all clearer for me. Thanks a lot.

7 REPLIES 7
Bb2002

Re: Over paying, line rental and contract query

Ok so Ive just read while searching this forum that if I move to another provider, PN "fine" you for not having line rental with them?Huh

what does that mean in terms of using another provider that says line rental is free? Do they only mean if I keep the Line rental Ive now got? Im so confused!

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

You'll have likely been on a 12 or 18 mth deal when you signed up, but shouldn't have just allowed it to roll

over on expiry.
I imagine you're just on a standard tariff now at a financial disadvantage to your wallet Sad

PN don't make it easy to see on line when your current contract expires, so it's essential you keep the initial e mail

from PN when first contract started, so you know and can negotiate a new deal a month before it expires.

Bb2002

Thanks for moving to the right forum.

Thanks Gel for your reply.

I don't have the initial sign up email Sad  

I definately shouldnt have let it roll on after expiry but Im not well & a single parent to an autistic child so I guess I kind of struggle to keep on top of things, and now Im paying the price with PN. 

I dont even know what a standard tariff is?

I rely heavily on the internet as Im often housebound and live quite rurally, but I simply cant afford to keep paying this bill, but at the same time I cant afford to be "fined" by them for leaving!  Im having trouble getting anyone from PN to talk to me.  

Can you tell me what happens if I do change, say to Talk Talk od Vodafone, with the phoneline? Do I keep this one, and have plusnet fine me or do I lose it and have to pay for a new line?  Im sorry if these are such silly questions but I really am clueless about all this.

And so, I AM still in contract to PN, because I let it roll on? When I changed the package nobody told me the contract restarts?

Thankyou

Bb2002

I keep trying to get someone on live chat but never can ( I cant talk on the phone as I get tied up in knots and cant remember what theyve said due to short term memory loss with M.S, plus theyll run rings round me..I need contact to be in written form) but cant find an email address for them? 

I just want to leave them and go with a cheaper provider. If I do it through uswitch, is that easier?  Do they inform PN?  But then, Im going to get fined!  

Plusnet definately are not " making me proud", theyre making me worry!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. Thanks for getting in touch.

I tried to call you today to discuss this but there was no answer.

I've instead responded on your account via a ticket (Sent to your e-mails too).

You can view and reply to the ticket from here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=170150648

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

( I cant talk on the phone as I get tied up in knots and cant remember what theyve said due to short term memory loss with M.S, plus theyll run rings round me..I need contact to be in written form) but cant find an email address for them?

Really sorry to hear that and for trying to call you.

I hope the ticket I've raised does help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I suspect the reason PN is more expensive than the other suppliers you have tried is because you are in a Market 1 area.  Living in your location probably does not make PN a competitively priced supplier for you.  I understand from other posts here that other providers do not charge different rates for different areas.

Line rental isn't free, it's just become 'fashionable' recently to quote the total charge for BB and Line Rental.