Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options at end of contract

ciderboy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Options at end of contract

I hung around for a year to see if Plusnet would sort out an FTTP offering but it looks like that's never going to happen.

I'm now in a position where my contract expires in July and the "special offer" in my user portal for my paltry 5mbps ADSL is only £5 per month less than the current FTTP 75/10 offering from BT.  I'd obviously be crazy to stay with Plusnet!

As an ex-Freenetname customer, Plusnet host my free domain name (only really used for the email addresses) so I was wondering if there's an option to cancel everything else but still have this hosted here.  If so then how much would that cost me?  Also, would I still receive my referral credits to put towards it?

Alternatively, is there any possibility of Plusnet offering an FTTP option by July?

I'll be sad to go having spent the majority of my internet years (going back to dial-up days) in the Plusnet "family" - Freenetname to Madadafish to Plusnet - but I really don't feel like I've got a choice.

5 REPLIES 5
CJT-80
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Options at end of contract

Hi @ciderboy 

Plusnet offered a Trial of FTTP quite sometime ago, and have never seemed to have moved forward with it, therefore I doubt they will for now (several other providers inc BT offer it).

Are you sure you can only get FTTP or ADSL?  Have you tried the BT Wholesale Checker you may need to use Address if your number does not work. Post a screen shot of the results here, ideally remove any personal info ie Number or address, but leave exchange/cabinet info in.

Regarding the Hosting, that may require a more experienced user or a Moderator to confirm.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Kind Regards,

CJT
ciderboy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi @CJT-80,

Unfortunately, despite being only 2.5 miles from the centre of a large city, there is no fttc available from my cabinet - only fttp (Virgin Media is an option but I would never pay their prices).

Apparently we can't get fttc here because we're right on the borders of 3 different exchanges - hence why they did the fttp for us as a priority.

CJT-80
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Good Morning @ciderboy 

It would therefore appear your only two options are:

1. Remain with Plusnet and on ADSL
  2. Move to another provider and get FTTP.  Note with this option a number of providers are not currently taking orders due to COVID-19
Kind Regards,

CJT
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

One more option:

3. Investigate 4G as an alternative to fixed line broadband. If you are lucky enough to have a decent 4G signal the result is  likely to be a much faster connection than ADSL (especially upload), and may well cost less. You can also take it with you if you travel should you wish to.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @ciderboy I'm sorry to see you're looking at leaving us although I appreciate the reasons why because I'm afraid that we've no news to share with regards to when or if we'll retake on new FTTP provisions.

Your Madasafish account will remain unaffected by any changes you make to your Plusnet account, so we'll continue to provide you with your Freenetname email address and host your domain (you'll still be part of the family Cheesy) There'd be nothing to pay for our email and/or domain services. In the future, we may make decisions that affect Madasafish accounts.

Your referrals however are linked to your Plusnet account so you wouldn't benefit from the referral discounts if you closed your Plusnet branded account. IIRC it was at some point in 2017 we stopped refunding referral discounts on free accounts.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet