Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On behalf of my elderly parents - Alzheimer carers used bandwidth

FIXED
romanovski
Dabbler

On behalf of my elderly parents - Alzheimer carers used bandwidth

My parents are elderly, and only my mother has any real understanding/usage of the internet. I work in IT and so tend to manage all that stuff for them.

My father has dementia and has recently started receiving care in the home. There is not much for the carers to do beyond make him tea, make sure he doesn't go wandering and having a chat about the old days. For much of the time, they are in the house with not a lot to do... so, unbeknownst to my parents,  they have started watching netflix on a fire TV stick which they bring to the house.

My parents account was an old one with a 60gig usage allowance, and this has never been a problem, but my mum recently asked me why she was getting emails about usage.

I asked her if her usage pattern had changed, and she said she had watched a lot of stuff on iplayer that month, so we chalked it up to that and did nothing.

Halfway into the next month, she got another email about usage, and she hadn't been using iplayer, so i began to suspect the carers were using the bandwidth somehow. She quickly reached 60 gig and was capped, and could'nt use the internet properly. I showed her how to limit it on the plusnet website, and i also put in a product upgrade request to an unlimited service.

The product upgrade wont happen until the end of the billing month in a few days, but unfortunately, my mother removed the cap online (added £5) and didn't readd the cap. The carers have spent all weekend at the house, and have consumed masses of data for which my mum has been billed, without really understanding what is going on.

I realise none of this is plusnet's fault, but is there anyway you could possibly remove the charges on her account since i requested the upgrade to unlimited?

Please PM me and i can provide her account name.. not sure if this forum account is associated with hers or mine (begins Tom*******)

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: On behalf of my elderly parents - Alzheimer carers used bandwidth

Mind PM'ing the username over? Happy to take a look at that.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: On behalf of my elderly parents - Alzheimer carers used bandwidth

Fix

Thanks for that, I've responded and I think I've got a resolution for you.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet