Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notice period

suebev03
Dabbler

Notice period

Hi there,
I've been with Plusnet for quite a while, but after a period of intermittent connection problems decided to order Virgin for broadband and phone instead. I ordered this on the 30th of August and received an email from Plusnet not long after saying that they'd been informed that the home phone would be moving on the 23/09 and therefore the service would end. The email stated that you were sorry that I was leaving.
I then received a bill on 05/09 for the normal monthly charge, up to 04/10. I queried this and was told that Plusnet had not received a date for the phone transfer.
My virgin service has been installed today, so I rang up to double check that Plusnet were aware of this and had closed the account, as indicated in the original email about the home phone transfer. Instead, I was told that they still hadn't received a date from Virgin and therefore I'd have to give 14 days notice up to the 29/09 and therefore had to pay a cessation charge of £30, less the £6.50 from the bill up to the 04/10, so £23.50.
My question is, why did the original email state a transfer date of the 23rd of September and then since then Plusnet have claimed that Virgin have given them no date? Surely this should serve as notice and I should only have to pay a cessation charge of £30 and the bill amount up until the 23rd, not the 29th. It's not a lot of money but you clearly were given a date by Virgin, otherwise where did the 23rd come from in the original email?
If I'd known otherwise I would have rang much earlier and given notice, but the email saying you were sorry I was leaving implied that I didn't have to do so.
3 REPLIES 3
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Notice period

Hi suebev03.
Sorry to hear that you have left us. I'm wishing you all the best with Virgin Media.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that you have had your services refunded from the 29th.
By regulation, we can't charge you for a service that you are no longer receiving from us regardless of the notice period or anything of the like. And of course, I'd rather that we did things by the book and refund the correct amount.
I can confirm that your services were ceased as of today so we actually owe you 14 days more than initially refunded.
Sorry for the confusion, I'll get this sent back to you ASAP.
Thanks,
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
suebev03
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes that is correct, the person on the phone I spoke to just said I'd have to pay for the 14 days notice from yesterday.
Thank you for sorting it out. Perhaps it may be worth passing on that the Plusnet email I received on the date I placed the order for Virgin services wasn't very clear on whether I had to ring and cancel it myself. The wording implied that Plusnet would do so without me having to ring or anything.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Thanks for letting me know.
I'm pretty sure I know which email you're talking about.
I'll make sure to feed this back down the appropriate channels on your behalf.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet