cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting what I signed up for

amorley

Not getting what I signed up for

I just renewed with an 18month contract to unlimited fibre 38-40mbps at £21.50 a month.

I tested my broadband speed and was only getting about 30-31 mbps

I had a look at my account and have now noticed it says that my broadband product is 28-31 mbps and my bill is £23.19, which is not what I signed up for and not what my contract conformation email says either.

Why might this be?

4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Not getting what I signed up for

Hi there @morley, I'm really sorry about the issues with both the monthly bill and also speeds been slower than promised. I'll get these issues sorted for you. 

It looks like an issue with incorrect discounts which has affected the billing, I'll get that corrected. Would it be OK to credit the overpayment against the next bill for you?

With regards to speeds, line tests aren't showing any obvious issues, was the speed test over a wireless connection? I ask as that will always give a slightly lower reading. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
amorley

Thanks @adamwalker 

Yes that would be ok to credit the next bill.

And yes, I did the speed test over wifi. It doesn't seem to go over 31 mbps.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@amorley wrote:

I just renewed with an 18month contract to unlimited fibre 38-40mbps at £21.50 a month.

I tested my broadband speed and was only getting about 30-31 mbps

Why might this be?

The "contract" speed is line sync speed not data transfer speeds and it is an estimate.  If you look at the router administration pages, what is the reported line speed?  It the line is syncing as high as 38mbps 31mbps data transfer speed (especially over WiFi) is probably about right.

Unless your PC is very new, 31mbps over WiFi might be the best it can do.

Also for clarity, you are paying for an UPTO 36mbps service (the average speed of the top 10% of customers on that product) provisioned on a 40/10 service.  If you live very close to the green cabinet and have a really good line and kit which can support it, you might see 40mbps sync speed, but the data speed will still be less than that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks amorley, I've just sorted that out for you. With regards to the speeds as @Townman rightly says the speeds you've seen could be about right for WiFi for your connection, it would be worth testing the speeds over a wired connection if you can though.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team