Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not been a customer for over a year - STILL being charged

guymark
Hooked

Not been a customer for over a year - STILL being charged

I used to be with Plusnet - and left them December 2019

I have been trying to contact them for some time now (months albeit intermittently) to try to find out why they keep charging me a monthly fee for broadband they do not provide. They even acknowledged back in December 2019 that the account should close - but they will not close it.

I dare not just cancel the DD as if I do that, they will damage my credit rating.

I have messaged them on their own website - no reply, messaged them on their Facebook page - nothing.

Short of taking them to the small claims court, I am not sure what else to do to finally make them CANCEL the account (I am with TalkTalk now) and to refund me the £100+ they have taken from me.

Has anyone else been charged after leaving them - and if so, how did you force them to stop taking your money without risking damaging your credit rating by just cancelling the DD ?

Getting desperate now.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Not been a customer for over a year - STILL being charged

@guymark 

1. Raise a complaint. After 8 weeks I think you can take it to arbitration. https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

2. Complaint to Ofcom. They will not act on your behalf but will log the complaint. A few years ago they fined Plusnet £880,000 for doing this sort of thing.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

guymark
Hooked

Awesome. Thank you. I will try both of your suggestions tomorrow.

guymark
Hooked

Well after confusing the two account once again and telling me the chages would stand etc - I finally made them realise they had the wrong account.

Now they are saying that only the telephone line was taken over and not the broadband (I have been with Pop Telecom for a year and now Fibre with TalkTalk for a month).

When you use a "switching website" that takes over the phone and broadband, is the onus still on me to make sure that the new company providing the phone and broadband are not providing it AS WELL as the previous provider who I switched away from?

(Extract from their message below).

"<etc etc>.....I can see another provider took over the phone line on 24/12/19, but not the broadband. Because the broadband has remained and is still active, the account remained opened. <etc etc>"
Before I get back to them again to try to get this solved, I would like to know if the onus is on *ME* to tell a supplier I am no longer with them, when I am now paying for the service with a new provider! I thought if you switched phone and broadband, then that was all handled automatically.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Well either Plusnet or TalkTalk are telling porkies! Only one ISP can be supplying Fibre broadband on a phone line at any time. If you are using the Talktalk router and their authentication details then Plusnet can't be supplying it. 

I suspect that the automated notification from Openreach to Plusnet, when the changeover happened, has gone astray and so the Plusnet systems think they are still supplying. Its the old, computer says we're supplying, therfore we must be,

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.