cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Line Rental Saver reffund for leaving contact due to well below garaneed speeds

XTwinyX
Hooked

No Line Rental Saver reffund for leaving contact due to well below garaneed speeds

Hi, could somebody clarify for me if this is correct or not?

Basically I entered a contract with plus net for garanteed 65mb/sec+ but im getting around 10mb/sec max. It can't be resolved because its network limitations that are causing it, no line faults etc.

Now when phoning up to cancel my contract so I might get a decent speed elsewhere(like 4g net etc), I was told that I can exit without fee because basically plusnet are in breach of contact. But I won't get my line rental that I paid up front back, because its "a seperae contract"?

Surel this can't be correct? If I paid line rental monthly, I would'nt be losing anywhere near as much money, If I was exiting because of a price rise, I would be entilted to my line rental back, but because its for the above issue, I don't qualify?

So my choices are, lose £200 and walk away, or stick with them for 1/7th of the speed I was promosied, disgusted by this.

12 REPLIES 12
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: No Line Rental Saver reffund for leaving contact due to well below garaneed speeds

Hi @XTwinyX, thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing.

On checking the account, we can see no reference to either there being network limitations or us agreeing to cancel your contract free of charge.

So that we can get this cleared up ASAP for you, can you confirm how this was agreed? I.e was it agreed over the phone, via webchat etc?

XTwinyX
Hooked

Re: No Line Rental Saver reffund for leaving contact due to well below garaneed speeds

Hi Oskar, it was agreed through ofcoms code of volentary practice to which plusnet has opted into just over a year ago and has now came into full effect as of the 1st of March 2019.

As for the network limitation, what I am reffering to is my distance from my nearest green cabnit is over 2kilometers away. Making it impossible for me to receive anywhere near the speed promised.

Please don't say their is nothing on my account, because I've been going around in circles with plusnet regarding this for three months now. Ive had three different engineers enter my property and countless others externally, doing work on the line. So saying their is nothing noted on my account is very disheartening.

Below is a quick link to what this code of practice entails that plustnet has opted into.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3071919/brit-isps-must-now-offer-customers-a-minimum-broad...

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @XTwinyX, thanks for your post.

We're of course aware of the Speed Code of Practice, however, the code you refer to does not apply to purchases made before 01/03/2019, as per the code itself.

-The codes will apply to broadband purchases from 01 March 2019 (services bought before this date will still be subject to the existing codes detailed below).

Whilst I appreciate that you're currently not receiving the MGALS, as per the code, we need to have received confirmation that we are unable to provide you with said speed which is the information that I'm not finding.

The last note we received from Openreach in relation to the account was that the issue was resolved in February. We then received no further contact from yourself until roughly a month later in March which would suggest that there is a fault that's now reoccurred.

We're of course more than happy to cancel your contract with no fee if we investigate the issue and are told that it cannot be resolved, however, as we've not received this confirmation termination fees would apply.

On another note, if it is found that the length of the line is the cause - moving ISP's likely won't resolve the issue.

So that we can resolve this issue ASAP for you, can you please raise a fault at https://faults.plus.net letting us know here when you've done so to enable us to progress the issue at the quickest possible pace?

XTwinyX
Hooked

Their is no fault on the line. I have raised this many times and like you said, all issues are now resolved, the speed is still the same.

I don't know what you are talking about that I have'nt contacted you in a month implies that a new fault has occurred? The last time I contacted plusnet regarding this was just over a week ago,  but I work away from home, and to be quite frank, plusnet keep fobbing me off saying things like, we are waiting on the engineers report, or we will call you back and the call never comes. So that's the reason for me not contacting every second day. It has absolutely nothing to do with a new fault, the person I spoke to on the phone last week confirmed no fault on the line.

Ok, so from the 2015 code of practice that plusnet is opted into

"The ISP must give equal prominence to the fact the customers will have the ability to leave their contract without penalty if:i. The customer receives an access line speed which is below the minimum guaranteed access line speed; andii. The measures set out in the 4th principle have been taken but the issue has not been resolved. This right does not affect the customer’s statutory or contractual rights."

From the 4rth principle

"Those ISPs using technologies such as DSL, FTTC/VDSL or fixed broadband delivered via fixed wireless, for which the access line speed can be lower than the headline speed must:

i. Have a robust process in place for identifying whether the problem relates to a slower than expected access line speed;ii. Log the problem as a technical fault if the actual access line speed is at or below the minimum guaranteed access line speed, or if it is otherwise appropriate to do so. As soon as possible after the problem is logged as a technical fault, the ISP must tell the customer their minimum guaranteed access line speed and explain that if the technical fault cannot be fixed then the customer will have the opportunity to leave their contract immediately and without any penalty. The ISP must then take steps to ensure the fault is corrected;"

So why are you asking me who told me that? Fact of the matter is we are getting off subject with that. My gripe is that plusnet are refusing to refund my line rental that I paid upfront? Even though they are in breach of contract... I did'nt even have the option to terminate my line rental contract within the 14 days because plusnet kept telling me they were going to fix the issue and now its three month later your still telling me your going to fix a fault that doesn't exist.

Apologies for the formating I don't know how to edit the quoted text font size.

XTwinyX
Hooked

Sorry I forgot to mention, im quite aware that another broadband provider won't be aple to give me a higher speed than the line is physically capable of. But their are other alternatives for example, unlimated data 4g routers that can offer speeds far in excess of what I am getting now and for less money than I am paying now(my total costs including line rental).

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @XTwinyX 

I don't know what you are talking about that I have'nt contacted you in a month implies that a new fault has occurred? The last time I contacted plusnet regarding this was just over a week ago, 

I'm afraid that as @OskarPapa we are unable to see record of this - how was it that you contacted us may I ask 

Even though they are in breach of contract... I did'nt even have the option to terminate my line rental contract within the 14 days because plusnet kept telling me they were going to fix the issue 

I can confirm that we are not in breach of contract in any way - I'm sorry to hear you think that however. You were are to cancel your LRS at any point within this 14 day cooling off period, that is it's sole purpose - after 14 days the LRS becomes non returnable. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

XTwinyX
Hooked

I have contacted via phone many times, all those calls should be recorded?

Im sorry to inform you, but if you sell a service and don't deliver it. I.e you promise me a speed of 65mb/sec+ and you give me 10mb/sec. You are absolutly 100% in breach of contract, its under Statutory rights and general consumer laws. Which is why I can cancel my broadband service without fees. All you have to do is google it, so please stop speading misinformation to others who may read this forum and are in a similar situation.

Again though, you are getting off the issue, the issue is the line rental that I paid upfront which I am being told is not going to be refunded if I cancel my contract.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @XTwinyX - thanks for getting back to me. 

Again though, you are getting off the issue, the issue is the line rental that I paid upfront which I am being told is not going to be refunded if I cancel my contract.

If you have a look at the last few lines of my reply (before my sign off) you will see i made reference to that part of your post as well. 

I've just tested your circuit and your router is syncing at just over 12Mbps - this is indeed well below your estimates and MGAL. As there is no open fault with our suppliers we would require you to do some at home checks and steps and we can then raise to our suppliers. 

Your can use the link @OskarPapa sent you to raise a new fault to us. 

I would strongly advice setting you router into the Test Socket of your premise and running a Wired Speed test with no other devices running on your network. A guide on how to locate your test socket can be found here

Kind Regards, 

MoR

XTwinyX
Hooked

I've already tried the router in the test socket, more times than I can count. I've had engineers out to the property do it themself. Unless plugging my router into a test socket can move a cabinet 1200 meters closer to my house its not going to increase my speeds. This should all be documented and in multiple engineers reports.

What is it you are going to raise to your suppliers exactly? Is it to do with them fixing the line? Because honestly, that whole process has been done 3 times now, I don't want to have to go through it a 4rth time.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @XTwinyX

I actually missed the line length whilst looking at your test results, my apologies.  

Estimated Line Length In Metres - 2061.8, which is roughly 1.2 miles. You are right in asking what our suppliers could do for this, as it's unlikely they would relocate or install a cab for 1 case of speed issues. 

Lifted from your initial speed ticket "...there are lots of things that can affect your broadband speed. Things like distance you are from the exchange, phone wiring to and in your home, how busy the internet and our network are, and if you're using multiple devices at the same time. For more info, you can find out why your speeds can vary here " 

Thanks, 

MoR

XTwinyX
Hooked

Yes, so basically my speeds can't be increased to what I was promised and plusnet are'nt offering me a discount that I think is enough for my current service.

So that leaves me with one other option which is to cancel my service, but you are telling me im not getting my line rental back so ill be £150 out of pocket, is that correct? So much for "leaving without penalty" disgraceful service to be honest.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Apologies for the delayed response.

I've spoke with a colleague regarding this and if you were to leave due to your sync speed being below your MGALS then we'd issue a pro-rata refund for your line rental saver based on how many months you have remaining.

If you want to do this you'll need to speak with our Customer Options team. They can be contacted on 0800 013 2632 and are open the following hours

Monday to Friday- 9 am while 8 pm
    Saturday - 9 am while 7 pm
    Sunday - 9 am while 6 pm

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team