Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tenant stepping in my contract?

matteozaccarini
Hooked

New tenant stepping in my contract?

Hello,

I have a 12-month contract for broadband only (at £ 3.50 pcm) until November 2020.

As I am now ending my tenancy at the flat, I would like to cancel the contract but if I understand it correctly this makes no sense as the early termination exit fees are higher than what I pay at the moment(?!). 

The new tenant has proposed to step in and replace me in the same contract, but is this possible? Is there a way to work this out? Any suggestion as to the best solution in terms of convenience for this situation will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and all best,

Matteo

10 REPLIES 10
matteozaccarini
Hooked

Re: New tenant stepping in my contract?

Up, please Sad

Plusnet is utterly unreachable these days.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@matteozaccarini  I wouldn't bother waiting for a response from PlusNet, they do not allow contracts to be transferred to another person. They would have to start a new contract so yours would be cancelled and exit fees would apply. The only way to avoid early termination fees is to move your PlusNet service to another address, and probably be required to start a new contract. I am not sure what the costs would be to do this.☹️

Jorvik
Grafter

The costs are detailed in the "Here's the legal bit" footnote on this page:

www.plus.net/home-broadband/movinghome/

"If you start a new broadband contract when you move, it's free to move your broadband to your new home. You might need to change your broadband package with a new minimum term if you do that.

If you want to carry on with the contract you've got at the moment, you'll need to pay £65 to move your broadband. If you need to have a phone line put in, it'll cost £49.99."

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@matteozaccarini 

I would like to cancel the contract but if I understand it correctly this makes no sense as the early termination exit fees are higher than what I pay at the moment(?!

OFCOM has stated that Early termination charges can not be more than the amounts payable to complete the contract period, and should be less. See https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/40620/guidance.pdf para 78.

So if you have paid advance line rental up to the end of your 12 month contract, then the maximum ETC that can be charged is the discounted broadband subscription to the end of the contract. If your advance line rental doesn't extend to the end of the contract then its more complicated since some line rental charges also need considering.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

matteozaccarini
Hooked

Thank you guys!

The thing is, these days the Plusnet online chat, which would be the easiest way to request a cancellation, seems unaccessible. I just get a 'loading' message which never gets me anywhere. I wonder if this is a general problem or just me being unlucky.

All best,

Matteo

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Chat has not worked for a number f weeks, I don't know why they have left the links!

matteozaccarini
Hooked

Then the only way to get in touch is by telephone? Even worse 😑

Jorvik
Grafter

@Mustrum wrote:

Chat has not worked for a number of weeks, I don't know why they have left the links!

One can wonder why and complain about Chat not working... but if it is not working (and it isn't), at the very least they should remove the links to it! Not doing so gives false hope and leads to frustration.

This is really basic stuff Plusnet!

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Chat's been closed for months.............mentioned here in this thread

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
matteozaccarini
Hooked

Hi again guys,

Last one - so basically my only options are:

1. go on and pay my monthly fees for my current unlimited broadband (£ 3.50 pcm) until the end of the contract (Dec. 2020). Then of course cancel it without paying extra fees.
  2. send Plusnet by post a written request for cease of service - paying early termination charges which, in theory, could be as hight as £11.85 for each leftover month (https://www.plus.net/help/legal/plusnet-price-guide-for-residential-products/#bb-broadband-and-phone...), but *might* be reduced to the monthly fees above if Plusnet abides by OFCOM regulations.

Where is the advantage of option 2? It seems to me that it only poses a risk to pay more. Maybe I am missing something.

Any advice would be appreciated.