Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New contract and upgrades

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

New contract and upgrades

I have been out of contract for broadband for some while now.  Thinking of renewing for 18months.  Will there be a penalty if FTTP becomes available in that time and I wish to upgrade to it?

13 REPLIES 13
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: New contract and upgrades

@IngeJones 

Highly unlikely but you would probably need to take a new contract. This assumes it's OpenReach that install the FTTP network. If it's one of the alternative suppliers then yes, an early termination charge would probably be applied.

Note that PN FTTP is Internet only - no phone service. You would lose your current phone number as things stand.

Brian

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Brian - "seasoned champion" not seen that title before Cheesy   Yeah I meant FTTP with plusnet, and I don't care about the phone line as I haven't used mine in ages.  Mobile is just so much more convenient and easier to see who is calling etc.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@IngeJones 

The official answer https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/Plusnet-Full-Fibre/m-p/1875677#M17564.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Well if that's the official answer, I am even more confused now.  In fact just as confused as the other people in the thread have been left Cheesy  I am translating it as "it's too early to ask, really"

bmc
Hero

@IngeJones 

If you read post #182 then it's straight forward - as a customer you can upgrade to FTTP at any point in your contract if it becomes available.

The confusion on the Forum relates to two things - FTTP is currently only for exisiting customers so you need to phone in to order. PN are working to get their website set up so they can offer it online and to new customers.

The second thing is people lose their telephone number if they sign up. If they want to keep it they need to go with BT after contacting PN first (to ensure any early termination fees are waived). If you leave PN theh you lose your PN email - PN no longer offer email to new customers or email only accounts to those who leave.

Brian

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

It also seemed to be saying that because they're terminating your phone line you have to pay the termination fee for that 

"You can upgrade to FTTP while within a contract, though you'd lose your landline number unless you export it to VoIP, potentially incurring termination fees" it says

bmc
Hero

@IngeJones 

Confusion reigned supreme with the launch of PN FTTP on the 25th May.

It's now been established that you can't "port" out your number to a VOIP provider as this ceases your account - which would terminate any FTTP order.

The only way to keep a number is to transfer to another provider who does voice as part of the package. Either that or take some down time by porting your number to as VOIP in the days before you get FTTP installed - currently not an option with PN as they're not doing new orders (you would also lose e-mail).

Brian

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

I don't think I have email with Plusnet either so that too isn't a  problem Smiley

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

So I went to do it and saw this "£4.31until discount ends then £24.35 a month"  It doesn't say when the discount ends

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@IngeJones So you did what exactly, that doesn't sound like FTTP  ( you to phone up for that) or have you just tried to renew your FTTC contract? I'm pretty sure the contract length will be there somewhere.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

It's probably clear if you read my very first post in this thread.  Currently on FTTC but out of contract.  FTTP not yet available to us.  Thinking of renewing contract for FTTC. 

Have now been reassured I can upgrade during the 18 months without penalty, but now needing info about "discount".  Yes of course I can see the contract length, but it doesn't say the discount applies for the whole 18 months of the contract period.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@IngeJones  Your first post was not terribly clear, whether you had FTTP available and did not know Plusnet had just starting offering it or that Openreach had not yet installed it.

Anyway the discount on contracts is for the full length of the contact, no question about that.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

I thought " if FTTP becomes available in that time" implied that it's not available yet

Well that's good then Smiley