cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New connection - trial/early cancel - 1 month ?

theaddict
Dabbler

New connection - trial/early cancel - 1 month ?

Hi folks,
only 3 days into my new 'unlimited' adsl and phone contract......so early days...but so far speed tests vary wildly, downloading speeds terrible.
So, should i wish to cancel early...is it 1 month for no fees back out cancel contract ?
if so, I will make my decision after 2 weeks, giving 2 weeks notice roughly.
unless the line settles and speeds improve of course 😉
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New connection - trial/early cancel - 1 month ?

theaddict
Dabbler

ooooh, what a lovely friendly reply  Cheesy
so...IF I prove, follow your instructions, and plusnet agree that my speeds suck...I have 90 days.
"The Broadband line speed that we quote when you order the service is an estimate only. Once your Broadband speed has settled (usually 10 days after provision), if you are always getting line speeds lower than the estimated range that we quoted, you can contact us any time within the first 90 days after you ordered the service and we will try to improve the speed. If, despite any improvements we try to make, the line speed you get is significantly lower than the estimated range we quoted you when you placed your order for the service (go to Speed Check Estimates for more details) you will be entitled to cancel your broadband contract without paying a charge for ending it early subject to you following our instructions to resolve the problem."

I seem to remeber there was a 30 day cancellation period if customer not happy ? Thats what one of the sales reps told me when signing up
Although I spoke to 2 and got varying answers on all my questions.

NEW QUESTION - should the service not improve in the 10 day settle period.....can I keep the line renatal and cancel broadband only...and switch elsewhere ?
if so, what will the line rental solo be ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I gave you the link official answer but as I am not an employee of Plusnet not allied to them in any way I can't help any further
I will give you one piece of advice - raise a fault here https://faults.plus.net
You could also provide the information requested here and we may be able to offer suggestions http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi theaddict,
Sorry to hear you're experiencing slower than expected speeds.
What kind of speed results are you getting? Are you testing the speeds via a wireless connection or via Ethernet?
If you are receiving slower speeds than you should then I would advise raising a fault so that our Faults team can have a look into this for you. If the slow speeds are due to a fault on your line then this will not necessarily be resolved by switching to another service provider (if they use the same equipment).
Can you run the speed checker below and post your results at your earliest convenience please?
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
theaddict
Dabbler

ok...10 days have passed.
Speeds have got worse.
speedtest 1 minute ago -
Down - 3.2
Up - 0.23
Ping - 82.5
Although I have gotten max speeds during the week.
This morning tested p2p - averaged 30kB/sec !!
Tested newsgroups - got speeds twixt 0.0kB/sec to 200kB/sec, though mostly 0.0 !!!
Just to check I browsed your packages until a sales rep chat window popped up,
so asked all the questions I asked when I signed up, about traffic shaping, port throttling and caps etc.
Mark: Hi, just looking at your packages.
David: Great
Mark: what are plusnet like for port throttling or traffic shaping ?
David: Our Unlimited packages are line speed at all times.
Mark: so speeds should be as advertised...max ?
David: Yes, you would be getting the estimated speed that's shown during the order (top of the page)
Mark: you must have some policy in place to stop people downloading 24/7 ?
David: No, the Unlimited packages are just that, unlimited
Mark: wow.
Mark: so to finally confirm, no traffic shaping...no throttling...no caps ?
David: That's correct.
Mark: ok...thanks
Exactly what I was told when I signed up.....yet I'm getting 0.0kB/sec this morning, maybe 10% of line max during the week, 10-60% during nights.
So, I ask again, if I ask for my mac to leave at the end of the month, do I get charged any cancellation fees ?
Is it ok to cancel adsl only, keep line rental ?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: theaddict
Exactly what I was told when I signed up.....yet I'm getting 0.0kB/sec this morning, maybe 10% of line max during the week, 10-60% during nights.

The answers you got are correct but you are making the wrong assumption that the speed issue you have is down to throttling.
Have you raised a fault yet?
theaddict
Dabbler

yes fault raised.
so you saying the sales rep was correct...no traffic shaping ?
you saying I should get max speeds with p2p or newsgroup ?
yet when I go through customer support I find -
Why do we manage traffic?
Our broadband service is provided over a shared network. Bandwidth (the amount of data that can be transmitted) is shared between everybody who is connected to the network. This industry-wide method allows us to provide a reliable, high-speed service at an affordable price.
As customer numbers and usage grows, we have to increase the capacity of our network to make sure there's enough bandwidth for everyone. When the network is busy, it's easy for things to get out of control. Peer-to-peer, video streaming and large file downloads can flood the network quickly and use up the bandwidth. If this happens, it reduces the speed of web browsing, email, gaming and other types of web traffic. Traffic management prevents this from happening.
With traffic management we can do lots of clever things to make sure everyone gets a good, fair online experience. For example we can:
    Make sure stuff that needs to be fast (like VoIP, VPN and gaming) is always prioritised - if these run slowly, they won’t work properly
    Protect your interactive activities like web-browsing and email from download traffic such as music downloads
    Provide a service relative to the amount each customer pays in terms of usage allowances and experience
    Flex the network in the event of unusual demands in traffic or disaster situations (e.g. a network failure)
Traffic prioritisation
Our systems identify traffic and assign it to one of six priority queues:
    Titanium (highest priority)
    Gold
    Gold Plated
    Silver
    Bronze
    Best Effort (lowest priority)
The queue for each type of traffic is different for each of our broadband products (see the table below for full details). Generally, 'time sensitive' and 'interactive' activities have the highest priority.
What this means: at busy times, higher priority queues will take bandwidth from the lowest queue(s) currently in use (but never enough to take the lower queue below its minimum bandwidth allowance).
Peer to peer/Usenet is rated at BRONZE - thats level 5 out of the 6.
so were the sales guys misleading me, no surely not !?
and for the 3rd time -
I ask again, if I ask for my mac to leave at the end of the month, do I get charged any cancellation fees ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you read http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/ which explains why having traffic management on an unlimited product is good.
If you provide answers to the following (some of which have already been asked) we should be able to advise you appropriately.
Are you connecting to the router wired or wireless?
Are speeds varying continually or are there times of the day when it is worse?
Please run the following test and post the full results: http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do
We need the full stats from the router. If you are using the Plusnet supplied router the following link should give them: http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
If you could post results from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html please (having made sure that NOTHING is running in the background - P2P especially must be fully stopped so that it is not uploading).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
theaddict
Dabbler

Wireless, same equipment as usual, previous supplier was full speed 24/7 ..until they got took over !
Test one -  Tried 5 times
The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.
Speeds when testing line....during the week have been between 8mb - 15mb
                                              ...today between 1.6mb and 8mb, mostly 4mb
Downloading from p2p/usenet ....during last week 0kb/sec to 600kb/sec, although on one rare test occasion - 1400kb/sec                                                        -
                                                    ......today between 0kb/sec and 60kb/sec
Router - netgear N300 DGND3300 - what stats do/will you need ?
Test request 2 - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=139734966482115866695
definitely nothing downloading in the background.

theaddict
Dabbler

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test
Broadband Speed Test Results
dl - 8.9
ul - 0.35
ping - 71
almost 1am so p2p and usenet should be flying....
p2p 10 minute test - 25kb/sec
usenet - 300 to 600 varying
oh and for the 4th time -
If I ask for my mac to leave at the end of the month, do I get charged any cancellation fees ?
I have seen the 3 month poor speeds cancellation script, but I'm sure the sales folk mentioned a 1 month test period where customers can quit with no fees,charges, comeback etc
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Line stats can be found at http://192.168.0.1 default login is admin and password you can try this link but I have a DGND4000 so not sure if it's a different URL! http://192.168.0.1/RST_statistics.htm
As you're connecting wireless this can have a huge impact on your speeds and speedtests what wireless version is it? G or N and if N is it 2.4ghz or 5ghz?
picbits
Rising Star

First thing to do is to connect with a wired connection and disable the wireless - as this is the most common cause of speed issues it is worth doing.
I put a new router in a couple of days ago and struggled to get above 2-3Mb / s while my old router would give me 30-60Mb /s
Some fettling with channels sorted the problem but I can see where customers can get funny if the speed suddenly drops.