cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to query huge usage today

IanSn
Rising Star

Need to query huge usage today

Received notice of coming close to my usage limit earlier today. Odd as I don't use much usually.
Checked usage page - its showing I've used 9.79 gb today.
And I am now at over 12 gb so expecting another notification.
No Windows updates since 14th. There is nothing else that could cause large usage.
At work all day, this evening I've only picked up some emails.
I'm wired, no wireless.
Could someone check this for me please?
---
Update -
As expected...
"You've now reached the extra usage limit you set for your broadband service. Your broadband service will be restricted until the end of your billing month."
Guess I'll just switch off for tonight then... crawling  Embarrassed
46 REPLIES 46
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Need to query huge usage today

Do you have any Apple software installed ?
Also have you done an antivirus / malware scan recently ?
thedogcopsit

I've had exactly the same, 7.59 GB when I average 180 MB. I complained yesterday morning that all my overnight usage had been included in my chargeable usage and was treated as if I was stupid. I received the e-mail stating that I was close to my limit, rang again and was told that many people are reporting this. I also "exceeded" my allowance and no doubt will be charged. I expect to be on the phone all day. 😞
greenfrog

Sorry for hijacking your thread IanSN  but i have the same issue as you and rather than start a new thread, i thought it better to add to yours. Mine isn't as severe a hike but i "apparently" used almost 2 GB yesterday which is most unusual as i tend to only use about 200 MB per day. I have been keeping a close eye on mine as i had a few days of heavy use so find it odd that it's rocketed when i am being very careful with my usage.
Hopefully PN can give us answers here later. Undecided
eagleash

There was another thread started at,  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136892.0.html which has been locked ....rather than merged... several users reporting problems...
recycledteenage
Dabbler

Mine jumped from between 3GB -5GB average to over 27GB yesterday.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We're looking into some erroneous usage yesterday. When we have more info we'll get back, rest assured that we're removing any incorrect charges prior to the billing run for this.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
alan991
Dabbler

Contacted PlusNet last night through live chat with the same problem.
Helpful guy said - "sorry this is our fault. Our computer has just added an extra 7gb or so an hour to every customer,"
He also said I wouldn't be billed for the 'extra' usage

Chris
Legend

It's not every customer Smiley
The usage/incorrect charges are being removed before we run through billing, so anyone due to be billed today may find it's a couple of hours later than usual.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gandb
Dabbler

Me too! And I've now been charged £5 for excess usage. But my router shows the correct usage:
Support call logged...
Chris
Legend

We're removing incorrect usage charges before the payment is requested so you shouldn't have been charged this amount.
pmaben

Me too - 15GB of usage recorded for one day (yesterday), now showing 7GB for that same day? - but I only use that amount of data per month!
Have exceeded my 10GB/month allowance - requesting refund of £5 extra charge.
Chris
Legend

You haven't yet been billed for the usage, so I cannot refund this. You're not due to have this added to your bill until next month, as per my previous responses this charge will be removed before you are billed it.
Chris
Legend

FYI we've posted a service status about this here: http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1424256842.htm
IanSn
Rising Star

Is there some way I can get the restriction lifted while the investigation is on-going?