cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to cancel as my mother is now in a care home

Mum95

Need to cancel as my mother is now in a care home

I am trying to cancel the service for my mother who has had to go into a care home. She is unable to deal with any of this herself and has already instructed me to cancel the direct debit. I tried to cancel by telephone but inspite of knowing username and passwords and being the address to which all communications are sent it seems  Plusnet are immune to the instructions. It must be quite obvious that the service is not being used and should be terminated.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue after split to it's own thread.

4 REPLIES 4
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Need to cancel as my mother is now in a care home

Moderator's note:

Post moved to it's own thread for better visibility and title changed to reflect issue.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pikster
Hooked

Plusnet will only cancel with the account holder, some may see it as a silly obstruction but honestly its one of the few policies they have that actually does make reasonable sense.

You'll need to get power of attorney if you want to do it for her.

Or just go on webchat and use her name, or write a letter and sign it as her. Trust me, nobody's checking...

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

From terms and conditions:

19.2. Communicating with us: If you wish to give us notice, you must do so by either:

19.2.1. phoning our customer service team; or

19.2.2. writing to Plusnet Plc, The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GU.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there. It sounds like the account isn't in your name. If that's the case we'd need to speak to the account holder (perhaps your mother?) in order to cancel the service.

If you can PM me a contact number to reach her on I'd be happy to see what we can do.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet