cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nearly used up all allowance and no reason for it

Indizine
Dabbler

Nearly used up all allowance and no reason for it

i'm at 8GB usage of 10GB and only just under half way through the billing month.
There are days when the computer has hardly been on  so im going to test a specific day (hopefully tomorrow) with no computer access at all.
Also, I have noticed yet again, that my usage is showing broadband call usage which is not used at all. This month is showing a bizarre 8% and previous months have shown this too.
I'm not on a contract so thinking of moving because this is just not right and really cant be bothered with more ticket relay faff.
I used to work from home and had the internet on all day and night, no gaming, no voip, no P2P, no music or video. Not counting a lot of usage in July or August which was a large backup restore I did at home, I have worked from my office 9-5 since mid July so only had the computer on a few nights a week, and only then its internet surfing, so cant imagine how im even reaching 10GB in 2 weeks. My daily usage is in one evening what I was using in 12 hrs.
I imagein all Plusnet  will do is look at the account and tell me what I can see. No help there. The fact the broadband call usage is 100% false is a fact that the usage data is false whcih should be enough to investigate. I will give a ticket a whirl but would like your thoughts on this.
17 REPLIES 17
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Nearly used up all allowance and no reason for it

you didnt by any chance have a new PN router you didnt want and sold it off?, another customer was complaining he didnt have any usage shown, it turned out he had just bought a brand new PN router from a shop, they are auto configured when you connect, and their usage was going to the original owner
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Indizine,
I imagein all Plusnet  will do is look at the account and tell me what I can see. No help there.

I'm sure you've heard the phrase "I believe you, thousands wouldn't", that applies here, we'll do all we can to help.
The data isn't false, it is probably genuine but could be used by someone else, did you try leaving the router switched off today? I ask as I can see some usage recorded.
Wireless security can also be an issue here. It would be worth checking your router configuration if you do use it wirelessly to make sure you still have WPA configured with a passphrase set.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Indizine
Dabbler

OK firstly, the router we use is the only one we have ever used at home on wireless, and on plusnet here at home. Bought from new.
Always had password security since day bought.
Yesterday router was not switched on. The only person with keys to my house are me, sone and daughter. Son went to work at 8am, daughter lives elsewhere, I went to work (with my daughter who works with me) at 8.15am. I took router with me to be absolutely sure it couldnt be turned on in my absense.
I came home at 4pm, sone came in about 6pm. No router on as we were both going out so never plugged in. We both came in later in evening, router still hidden away never plugged in. Checked usage just now and its showing about 324MB for yesterday! Just impossible!! I have changed my 25-character password just now though that has never ever been revealed to anyone by myself as I configured my laptop and my sons laptop with said password and no one has ever been to my house and used my wireless connection.
So yes, an explanation is required. I am aware there have been days where I havent had my laptop and and neither has my son but I couldnt tell you when those dates were, but im showing usage for every day none the less.
And how does one explain the broadband calls?
PS My other account has been set up since July and still shows no usage data!!
16 Aug - 16 Sep
16 Jul - 16 Aug
16 Jun - 15 Jul

0GB   0.25MB   0.5MB   0.75MB   1MB
Billing Period Paid-for usage Free usage Total usage
16 Aug - 16 Sep 0KB 0KB 0KB
16 Jul - 16 Aug 0KB 0KB 0KB
16 Jun - 15 Jul 0KB 0KB 0KB

....Yet it's on from 9am to 5pm on average, every single day since we got it apart from weekends. No fear of going over the limit there then!! And I use a wired ethernet modem so one cant blame wireless on this!

zubel
Community Veteran

Did you get supplied a router with your "other account", and are you using *that* router with the correct account?
B.
Indizine
Dabbler

i've never been supplied with a router form plusnet for either account as both started on non-contract terms.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what line are you using for the other one?
Indizine
Dabbler

errrm, a phone line. Is that what you meant?
I am using more than twice as much broadband - that is to say,  I am on it using the internet, FTP, email and VOIP (which is not plusnet its voipfone)  yet not getting any warning of nearing my usage limit.
The fact there is no data usage is odd. How then are plusnet tracking my usage if they have no stats?
2 different accounts, 2 different addresses, and 2 different phone lines.
Do you think the first account is somehow also including the usage from my second accound and thats why the latter shows no data and is adding on to the first account? If so, how so?
I did use my wireless router briefly when I first set up the second account (the one showing no usage) but then changed to using the plain old wired ethernet modem soon after. Could the wireless be picking up my usage 8 miles away down another phone line just  because I first plugged that router in? Surely it would pick up the fact its had a different and wired one in now for many weeks?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Apologies for asking the obvious but when you changed back to a non wireless router and used the wireless router at the other address you did change the username in the router didn't you
itsme
Grafter

Just to carry on from Oldjim, the usage is recorded against account name and not against the physical line and it's possible to run any account on any PN enabled line.
Indizine
Dabbler

I havent ever changed anything. Never changed any usernames, settings, etc. I just plugged it in with necessary cables and it started working straight away. Likewise unplugged, taken back to original address, plugged back in and carried on. Just checked my Netgear router admin and its still got all the original loign details in there. Is that what you mean? I didnt think to change them simply because it started working right away and I presumed it has somehow auto-configured itself.
I can now see that the times I have used the wireless router with same settings, how that might transfer the data usage to the first account and account for the extra usage.
But its the fact I have for many weeks been on the wired router that I cant get my head around, because that just plugs into the phone line socket to the router and then to the computers, and has no set up settings to enter eg account username and password.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The next thing to see is what the account names are on the wired router and the wireless one
Indizine
Dabbler

Okay I am back to update you on what happened.
Firstly I should apologise for saying the data is incorrect. The conclusion I had arrived at earlier is exactly what has happened and as suggested, I checked my router settings to find they were configured to my first PN account and thus all the usage was adding into that account.
It's casused me to go over and be charged £5 this week even thogh the other account has never in effect been used. So lesson learned that as noted, any PN router will work on any PN account even if you do not change the settings. I am not used to accounts crossing over like that for anything, I must say I wouldn't have expected that to be possible but hey ho it is the way it is. So the usage in total was correct, just in the wrong pots and yes, my fault.
I think partly the 'broadband calls' bit was also throwing me out since I use another company for my VoIP calls but I guess the usage is merely showing how your broadband has been used, not that they are PN broadband calls (well, I hope not anyway!).
So yesterday I re-configured the settings to the new account and voila it's all now okay, checked today and usage is appearing in the second account and has dropped in the first account so all is well. So I will stay with PN for a bit longer then!  Cheesy
I must just add though, sorting out a problem via this forum is way, way better than that ticket faff, so thanks to everyone that has helped with suggestions here.
Indizine
Dabbler

Just wanted to query something else about this same sort of thing.
Scene: 2 Plusnet accounts - a wired router at one address, a wireless one at the other. Ref the problem above above, I have since configured the wired router to the correct account and all looked well.
However, just been checking the accounts recently and noticed there are days where we are not at the acddress of the account using the wired router and therefore we'd expect that account to show as zero usage for those days. Yet the account is showing its getting used on those days we are not there? How can that be?
I went to try and check the connection settings again this week and now it wont accept the login username and password yet it let me in the other week to change the settings which fixed the issue in this thread. Tried all ways in vain.
Any ideas why the wired router is showing a small amount of usage every single day when we are not there?
The laptops we have used on the wired router are only used in a wireless environment elsewhere, so I dont see how they can be using up the bandwidth of that account. Surely once they log in and pick up a different wireless signal, it wont be tapping into the account only associated with the wired router?
Hope i've explained myself here ok.
Any ideas why I can't log in? Its a BT210 Voyager wired router.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Typically daily usage of under 1MB is to be expected with normal backscatter from the router even when no computers are on