cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My responsibility?

Allan_Jones
Hooked

My responsibility?

We recently had a problem (bad telephone noise, poor broadband speed). I reported it, and an Openreach engineer came. He found that the problem was a connection box on the outside of my house (but on the BT side of the master socket). This junction box was full of rainwater. After he'd fixed it, the service improved vastly and I thought that would be the end of the matter. I now find I'm being charged £50, because the problem had been 'within the boundaries of [my] property'.

Does the fact that the problem was on BT's side of the master socket have no bearing on this? Would I have been allowed to fix it myself, or would the Openreach chap have said 'Sorry, this isn't your equipment. You can't meddle with it'?

The first I heard of the charge was an email from PlusNet yesterday. When I go to the PlusNet Members site I find there's a 'question' relating to this matter that has now been closed, although the first I knew of it was yesterday's email. It seems I can't respond to this question.

7 REPLIES 7
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: My responsibility?

There is no way you should be charged for a fault on the incoming BT line before the master socket, it is BT equipment so only they can repair it. As for it being within the boundaries of the property, that is complete nonsense,  a charge only applies if it a fault with customer extension wiring connected after the Master socket. You should dispute this charge, hopefully a plusnet rep will spot this and confirm that is  an error.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi Allan_Jones,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding this issue. I my self do not agree that you should be getting charged for this as it is external to your property but I have looked into your account and can not find your fault ticket, do you have the question number from when you have logged in to the members centre?

Allan_Jones
Hooked

Hello BenB,

I have two accounts with PlusNet, and the issue relates to one for which my username is [removed]. Ticket Reference is 125755646.

Allan

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Username removed from a public forum.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Allan_Jones

I would remove account details from your post. This is a public forum and that account name maybe helpful to some one up to no good.

Just PM the details to @BenB

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you for the question ID Allan_Jones.

I can confirm that after further investigation and disputing we have waived the engineer charge as the issue was found to be on the external wall of your property which was out of your control regarding the box collecting water.

I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused but if you need any further assistance then please do not hesitate to get in contact with us and we'll be more than happy to help

Allan_Jones
Hooked

Thanks for dealing with that

Allan

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problems Allan and if you need any further assistance then please do not hesitate to get in touch & we'll be more than happy to help.