cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to sky and Cessation Charges

tejalmodi

Moving to sky and Cessation Charges

Hi,
I have been with PlusNet for a year (my 12-month contract ended yesterday so now, I am on a rolling contract as PN informs me). PN staff has been advising me since last two weeks that if I went to sky (who have informed me that they don't need a MAC code for transfer), then they will charge me a £30 cessation charge. On the other hand, sky informs me that they will take care of the transfer and PN should not charge me anything. Having searched and read numerous posts etc., I am completely confused about the issue. Can someone please clarify and help me in rectifying the situation?
Regards
Tejal
19 REPLIES 19
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Moving to sky and Cessation Charges

PN staff has been advising me since last two weeks that if I went to sky (who have informed me that they don't need a MAC code for transfer), then they will charge me a £30 cessation charge
I thought this had been sorted out once and for all, here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131019.0.html . Obviously not!! Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tejalmodi

Hi MisterW,
Many thanks for the reply. Can you please tell me the best course of action for me to resolve this through the call centre? I don't want PN to raise a claim at a later date and then, start raising debt recovery notices.
Regards
Tejal
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi tejalmodi,
You will not pay a cessation charge as long as you seamlessly migrate to Sky. MisterW is quite rightly referring to a thread where this is confirmed by Linn. So whilst I am overseeing this I will guarantee that you won't receive any debt recovery notices.
Our suppliers are changing the provisioning journey and order placement structure soon for all providers. This should hopefully stop the confusion.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
tejalmodi

Hi MattyC,
Many thanks for your reply. So when you say "Seamlessly", what do I need to do? Sky tells me that once I have signed up for their services, they will themselves contact plusnet to transfer the services. Do I need to instruct them to do the transfer in any particular way so as to meet this "Seamless" condition (without using the MAC, of course). Also, do I need to call plusnet and inform them of the 14-day notice period or once sky has contacted, it kicks in automatically?
Regards
Tejal
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So when you say "Seamlessly", what do I need to do?
There's nothing you can ( or need to ) actually do. AIUI Sky(or any other LLU provider) would normally transfer both your phone and broadband simultaneously. This is due to the fact that they use their own equipment in the exchange and hence the LLU (local loop unbundling) terminology. In the process of transferring your phone to them, BT Openreach will reconnect your line in the exchange from BT(wholesale) kit to Sky's. This will automatically cease your BB with PlusNet since it can no longer be provided and therefore Sky will have to provide BB at the same time. PN will be informed of the BB cease but in this case it will be notified as a PSTN XFER TO LLU type cease and thus not chargeable. I guess if Sky were to mess up and just transfer the phone then that might be slightly different...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tejalmodi

Hi MisterW,
Many thanks for the info and help.
Regards
Tejal
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: MisterW
I guess if Sky were to mess up and just transfer the phone then that might be slightly different...

Something along the lines of this, but it would be a big surprise if this happened.
As long as they place the same order that I'd imagine that they place many times a day, then you should be completely fine.
Feel free to let me know if there's any complications.
Matty
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As long as they place the same order that I'd imagine that they place many times a day, then you should be completely fine.
My thoughts exactly!. Smiley
Maybe there's a need to educate the other people that Tejal spoke to, as to what the normal procedure should be.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I have fed back on the agent.
We relayed the information to the concerned department prior to the last thread. I just hope that it's been cascaded as expected.
Matty
tejalmodi

Hi guys,
Many thanks for your responses. I can only wish that the customer retention team would be as helpful as you guys.
BTW, I have kept a record of each and every person that I spoke to - couple of different agents at various times. Starting with Steven (never called back after confirming to call the next day), [removed] - CSC Analyst (Twice and the most involved and heated discussion, he was the least trustworthy-advised me that a deal was valid till 8 PM on a particular day and his colleagues can help me even if he finished work at 17:20 only to call me at 17:20 to inform that the deal has to be taken right now or its gone!! He is a big contributor in my decision to move away from PN),  [removed] - Sales & COT Analyst, [removed] - Sales & COT Analyst (my online query to her on 24/Sept regarding "another recognised migration process" remains unanswered!!) and one more guy, whose name I did not note down (this guy literally asked me log-in and then go on webpage where cessation charges are explained!!). So, it looks like a department-wide problem - perhaps to misguide the customers to conclude that migrating to another provider will not be a cost-effective and worthy solution!!
Thanks
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim): CSA name removed as per the forum rules.] but all names noted for feedback
Tejal
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting us know about this tejalmodi,
I've got those names noted down, and will make sure that I feed back.
Although you will shortly be in the process of moving away, I do wish you all the best with your new provider.
Matty
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

We relayed the information to the concerned department prior to the last thread. I just hope that it's been cascaded as expected.
Thanks Matty.

tejalmodi

Hi All,
OK, I have taken the big step and here is the message that I received from PlusNet "A LLU PSTN cease has been placed on this account. ". Note that I have received two separate emails notifying me of the moving of phone service and broadband service to another provider. Can anyone please confirm that this is OK and I will not incur any cease charges?
Thanks
Tejal
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That sounds right to me, it's identifying the cease of the line as due to an LLU transfer, but hopefully Matty will confirm.