Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to new room in care home

FIXED
C-A-W
Grafter

Moving to new room in care home

I look after the phone for my mum who is in a care home. She's just been told that she needs to move to a different room ( to allow better access for the care equipment she needs) but we are worried about her phone line.

I've got two questions:

- if she is moving within a care home, it it worth me contacting the care home to ask if they can move her phone from the old room to the new room (which has a phone socket) by swapping the wires over at a master socket at the care come or are all rooms always supplied as completely separate lines and I need to treat it as a house move?

- if it is a house move, how do I find out how much it will cost to change? At the moment she has phone and broadband, but I've never been able to get the broadband to work reliably, so I want to cancel it and I may decide to move provider depending on how the figures compare. Please don't tell me to look 'my account' to find out the situation, because this account is affected by a billing fault on Plusnet's side and hasn't worked properly since December last year (eg I can't update the billing details to add a card for automatic payment, so I have to pay manually every month when the bill is generated - which is part of the reason I am considering cancelling and starting again elsewhere). 

9 REPLIES 9
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Moving to new room in care home

I would certainly start with the Care home. You are unlikely to be the first person to need to do this. They will probably have a process ( and a charge!) for doing this.

Depending on the age of the building ( or how long it is since it was refurbished as a care home) I would have guessed that all the internal phone wiring in the building goes to a frame somewhere, and all incoming lines are jumpered there to the relevant room.

C-A-W
Grafter

Thank you - I'll start by giving the care home a call and see what they say.

Owain_2
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Historically, BT used to waive the internal shift charge for customers moving room within a care home.

C-A-W
Grafter

Thank you. The care home have told me that it needs to be treated as a home move unfortunately and done through the phone provider.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thank you for your post, @C-A-W

We can certainly arrange for no obligation call from our Customer Options Team to discuss your options, if that's something that'd be of use to you?

If you'd like for us to arrange this, please drop me a PM with the best contact number for the account holder and the ideal time and I'll get it arranged for you.

We're sincerely sorry to hear that your billing issue are ongoing. We're unfortunately not able to provide an update on this issue at this time.

C-A-W
Grafter

Thank you. If I decide to follow up I will get in touch.

C-A-W
Grafter

Can I ask for help again? I phoned to place an order for the line to be moved from the old address to the new one on Thursday morning. On Friday morning, there was an update to the ticket to say that the order could not be processed automatically and would be done manually. I am still waiting for notification that the order has been placed.

I know that there is a problem with the account (as mentioned at the start of the thread) and I am worried that this is blocking the order on your system. Would it be possible for someone to look at this, and let me know if this is a problem specifically with this Plusnet account, or if it is a problem because a new line has to be set up at the new room.

Thank you - I am anxious to get this moving because my elderly and disabled mother relies on her landline phone for contact with the family, and if it isn't going to be possible to move the account to the new room I need to know urgently so I can decide what to do next.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Fix

Good Morning @C-A-W, I've taken a look at this for you, it looks like there's no record of the address on our suppliers system. Due to this, we have had to send it off to our suppliers who will then potential carry out a survey for the line to be installed.

Unfortunately due to the type of order I have placed, we haven't been able to place the Broadband simultaneously and will need to progress this as a stand alone phone order, placing the the BB order when this completes.

I have taken personal ownership of the house move ticket (you can view this here) so I can monitor this for you and keep you updated.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
C-A-W
Grafter

Thank you for you help. If you could update the ticket as soon as there is any more information that would be greatly appreciated.