cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Talk Talk - Cessation Charge?

PLan
Grafter

Moving to Talk Talk - Cessation Charge?

I have signed up with Talk Talk for fibre broadband and phone, they did not require a MAC but did inform Plusnet who are now aware that my fibre account(out of 18 month contract) will be switched on the 3rd of December, Plusnet e-mailed me to state the end date of my account. Plusnet have now raised a cessation charge of £30. The current related ticket on my account states -
A LLU PSTN cease has been placed on this account. This is due to complete on 03/12/2014.

I'm partly confused by this because according to point 46 of the Plusnet Residential Standard Terms, covering ending of a service -
46. Once we have provided the service, you may tell us to stop providing it at any time with 14 days' notice, either by notifying us directly or, where you are switching provider through a recognised migration process, we will accept that provider's order notification as notice. We will accept notice from you via phone or in writing. We can stop providing the service by giving you 10 days' written notice.
http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html

Well in that case since Plusnet have decided to end my account under Talk Talk's advice they must have accepted Talk Talk's communication as part of a recognised migration process(at no point did I inform or instruct Plusnet regarding the migration).
Secondly point 19 of the Plusnet Broadband Family service terms - Ending your agreement - states -
19. If you choose to end your agreement for the service and you do not request and use a migration access code (MAC), or do not use another recognised migration process you will be subject to the broadband cease charge as shown in the price guide. You will not have to pay this charge if you are moving home and we are unable to provide the service at the new UK address.
http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html

If Plusnet by their actions accept Talk Talk's communication as part of a recognised migration process, which they apparently do, then I can't see how I can be liable for a cessation charge under point 19?
Any help in clearing up when a cessation fee should be charged welcome.  Huh

12 REPLIES 12
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Moving to Talk Talk - Cessation Charge?

There have been a number of queries about the "cessation charge" raised in this forum in similar circumstances and the explanations have not appeared satisfactory to all concerned.
There are a number of people here as well as obviously yourself who will be interested to see what the "official" explanation is, and the outcome.  Wink
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

An "LLU PSTN Cease" sounds like TalKTalk have notified Plusnet that the phone line is being taken over to their own equipment on that date. TalkTalk haven't marked the transfer to include broadband. Since transferring the line cancels broadband a cease charge becomes payable.
David
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: PLan
The current related ticket on my account
Have you raised a ticket querying the charge and making the relevant points you have detailed here?
PLan
Grafter

Yes, but I decided to post here for a faster resolution - I would also rather this issue was discussed in public as it may help other customers.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Oh dear, not another erroneous cessation charge Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Correction: Oh dear, not another case of TalkTalk not placing the orders in the correct way which would have stopped BT Wholesale charging Plusnet for the cessation.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Sorry, but I don't believe that's the case.
A LLU PSTN cease has been placed on this account. This is due to complete on 03/12/2014.
That tends to indicate that PN's systems know it's an LLU transfer. Looks to me like TT/BTw got it right but PN's systems are not interpreting it correctly.
Problem is we don't really know who's got it wrong, TT, BTw or PN since we can't see who's sent what codes to who. Bottom line is this needs sorting, we've seen a few of these recently and the charge has been removed by PN once the CRT have got involved.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PLan
Grafter

I have received a response from Plusnet on my ticket -
The notification we received from Talk Talk is taken as your 14 days notice period. It is not, however, a recognised migration process as this is referring to the use of a MAC key (which stands for Migration Authorisation Code).

They appear to be contradicting themselves, according to term 46 in my first post they only accept notification to end the service from the account holder directly or via a recognised migration process - there is no other stated option - they are acting as if Talk Talk are using a recognised migration process, then claiming they aren't.
zxmike

If you move to TalkTalk - problems like this will become the norm ! Trust me I have just moved to PlusNet from TT.
TTs customer service is appalling. Please keep your fingers crossed you don't have any tech problems because once you have found someone you can actually understand in their "off shore" tech team, you will be subject to - is it plugged in, have you turned it on, do you have any phone extensions in the house ....... then oh it must be a BT fault we cant help.
Then also watch out for those that phone you constantly for marketing purposes and when you keep telling them you are not interested, sign you up for a new 18 month contract without any agreement. They did that to my elderly father in law and then trying to get him out of an 18t month contract was impossible. By continuing to use the service he agreed to it apparently !
Also congested exchanges and too many people watching TV down their service means although the speed you get might be good - but the actual service is very poor at times.
See sense - don't got to Talktalk.!
PLan
Grafter

Thanks for your advice, but let's try to stay on topic.
PLan
Grafter

Is anyone from Plusnet going to respond to this thread, it's been open for days?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry, I was under the impression that the other responses on here plus the ticket reply had answered your query,
To clarify, the notification we received from TalkTalk is to advise us that your 14 day notice period has begun, this notification allows us to contact you and see whether this is an incorrect order or not. It does not mean that your line moving out is happening via a recognised migration procedure.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.