cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to PN FTTC from Sky ADSL

theoldbill999

Moving to PN FTTC from Sky ADSL

Hello all!
I've had a search of the forums but couldn't come up with a definitive answer to my query, can anyone help me out?
Hopefully this will bean easy one.
I am currently on (very slooooooow)Sky ADSL but yesterday signed up for Plusnet Fibre to the Cabinet. I did this online and there was no mention of MAC codes.
I read a forum post stating that I don't need one if going from ADSL to fibre, Is that correct?
Do I need to speak to Sky at all? If so, what date do I tell them to cancel from? I haven't had any confirmation from PN of an activation date yet.
Sorry if this is basic stuff, I did try searching prior to posting, I promise!
5 REPLIES 5
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Moving to PN FTTC from Sky ADSL

Hi theoldbill999,
I've had a look at your account for you and I can confirm that you will not require a MAC Code. I'll go ahead and place your orders now and you should receive confirmation of your installation date for the fibre in the next 24 hours. Your phone will transfer over on the same day.
Once we've confirmed the date you can then contact SKY if you wish to do so to inform them that you are leaving on this date.
NedLudd
Grafter

Just to add a little something to Linn's note from one who moved from Sky to PN!
Be careful if you speak to Sky (you don't really need to). They just may put a 'cease' on your line and that could cause problems later e.g. you risk losing your phone number!
Geoff,
York.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

A point well made, NedLudd Smiley
theoldbill999

Cool, thanks for the replies!
I've had some confirmation texts from PlusNet and all seems to be going well.
Just spoken to Sky who said that PlusNet had informed them already! Surely nothing is this simple?
Sky didn't even make an issue out of the fact that it's being cancelled with less than a month's notice. Weird. I'll keep an eye on the bill though.
Fingers crossed for the next 2 weeks!
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Ive moved several accounts for others from Sky over the past few months.  None of them have been easy from the Sky side of things  Sad
As has already been mentioned be very careful that they dont put a cease on, as you will lose your phone no, this has just happened to someone I know, who was a bit upset at losing the nice easy to remember number theyd had for 30+yrs. 
The last one I did I specifically requested PN to do a sim-provide using a LORN in an attempt to avoid this.
>> Sky didn't even make an issue out of the fact that it's being cancelled with less than a month's notice <<
Ive queried this and was told that they only require 10 days notice - yet another Sky rep told me 7 days - so take your pick

>> I'll keep an eye on the bill though.
<<
Make sure you do.  Ive just had to chase one where they still billed phone and dsl for April/May despite no longer owning the line since the beginning of March. 
>> Fingers crossed for the next 2 weeks! <<
Good Luck and hope it all goes well for you.