cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to BT - refund from Plusnet for advance payment?

FIXED
carolynchafer
Dabbler

Moving to BT - refund from Plusnet for advance payment?

We are moving to BT.  We are out of contract with Plusnet and paying monthly.  DD has been taken today for advance payment for the next month (to 23 Nov).  BT are giving us a changeover date of 10 November (presumably because it is 14 days which is the notice period for Plusnet) - will Plusnet automatically refund the payment for 10-23 November?

I can't find any way of contacting Plusnet except by phone and when trying yesterday there was a 30 minute wait.....

6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Moving to BT - refund from Plusnet for advance payment?

We should receive notification from our suppliers that someone else is taking over the line and that will trigger a notice to our billing team to work out final fees/refunds and cancel the account after the services have moved.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
carolynchafer
Dabbler

Thanks - I just want to be sure that I will get a refund and that I don't need to advise BT to delay the changeover date to 23 November.

We don't make any calls so there won't be anything for us to pay.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

You don't need to change to changeover date. Our billing team should issue any refunds that are due following the migration.

If you haven't heard anything a few days following the migration, let us know and we'll look in to what's happening with that for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I don't think the 14 days is "the notice period for Plusnet", but an Ofcom regulation, i.e. you have 14 calendar days to change your mind.  This period also allows your old provider time to notify you that they have received PN's request to take over the service, and of course gives you time to protest if someone has decided to change your provider without your knowledge.

carolynchafer
Dabbler

Thanks Johnpe - yes, there is a 14 day cancellation in the BT information.  I think it is just a coincidence that Plusnet has a 14 day cancellation period too.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Go to https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/switchi... and click on "How do I switch?" below the introductory paragraph, and it says  "... you have a 14 calendar day period from the date you enter a new contract with a new provider in which you have a right to cancel your request to switch without being charged."  It's a regulatory requirement, not a coincidence.  If you click on "Gaining provider led process" on the same page, it explains that "... both your new provider and the provider you're leaving must both send you a notification letter to inform you of the switch."  (And yes, both does appear twice Funny )