cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving out of flat mid-way through contract but no new address yet

lucy5
Grafter

Moving out of flat mid-way through contract but no new address yet

Hello, hoping someone can help as I can't find the answer to this elsewhere and previously had a total 'mare trying to get anywhere with the call centre...

I paid for one year broadband in advance.  Six months into my contract and due to relocation for work I'm moving out of my property at the end of September.  However we don't yet have a new flat to move to (currently staying with parents).

How can I work this so that I end my contract at current address at end of move but pause moving account to new address until we have signed a new lease elsewhere?

Thank you in advance for any help 🙂

10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Moving out of flat mid-way through contract but no new address yet

Hi there, 

We don't offer the ability to pause contracts or put accounts on hold I'm afraid. I'm sorry if that disappoints. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
lucy5
Grafter

Oh right... so what do I do then? Just cancel my account? Is it not better for Plusnet if I keep my account?
lucy5
Grafter

I see now from an equivalent recent thread elsewhere that customers in similar circumstances have been offered 90 days to notify of the new address... why this not an option for me..? 😢
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @lucy5,

While obviously as a company we want to keep your custom, physically it's just not something we have the functionality to do (pause accounts), and we're not allowed any longer to keep accounts open when assets are ceased (so the broadband is cancelled but the account remains live) this is for regulatory reasons. 

A while back there was a soft trial where we were adding discounts to cover 90 days during house moves, but this is not something we're able to do any longer for the above reasons. 

lucy5
Grafter

Thanks for your message. So the only option is I just have to cancel and lose half the money I paid upfront? The reason I was comfortable taking out the line saver account was because the marketing said that moving out of current address wasn’t a problem.
OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @lucy5

I'm really sorry to hear about your circumstances. 

As the contract was agreed at your specific address and you don't know where you are moving to, when the services are taken over by the new occupant this will put your account into a cancellation. We would need to know a specific address that you are moving to. 

Any orders we place cannot be more than 90 days in the future as our systems won't allow it. I'm afraid in this instance the option for yourself is to cancel but we are unable to refund Line Rental saver, as outlined on sign up and in our terms and conditions. 

We're really sorry for any inconvenience caused and should you have any further queries, please feel free to give us a shout. 

Kind Regards

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Typo corrected.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@lucy5 Could you not move your service to your parents house until you have another place?

lucy5
Grafter

Plusnet says you can only move the account once during a contract 🙁
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@lucy5 

My understanding is that moving is free provided that you start a new contract, It would be worth phoning the retentions team.

Dave

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Hi @lucy5 thanks for getting back to us. I’m not sure if you’ve got this sorted yet or this changes things, but you can move house during a contract term as many times as you want either free of charge by recontracting each time, or paying the house move fee of £65 and possible installation fee of £49.99 keeping your current contract/pricing.

So for example as @daveplus has suggested if both yourself and parents are happy with it, you could request a house move to their address and (assuming) if they’ve already got a line/service, we could arrange for a second line to be installed.

Then once you know where you’ll be residing, we can arrange for the second line we’ve installed to be ceased and provide a service at your new address. House move orders can be placed up to 90 days in advance, so if you know where you’ll be moving to, but it’s 3 months later we can schedule the move for then. The billing of an account will be suspended during a house move, so you won’t be paying for a service you’ve not had.

I hope this helps. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet